SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab IQON ... My version

18K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
First of all, this is not finished... the panel to cover all the holes and make it really look built in comes on Friday.

Well, I was getting really tired of not having navigation in my car. I also wanted a better audio solution for playing music. I have fiddled with many different designs, but this one is more final ;ol;

So I bought a galaxy tab 7, which wasn't TOO big, but I still had to make some modifications to make it fit. This sadly included removing the in-dash cupholder, but I never used it anyway in fear of breaking it (PM me if you want to buy it).

So I removed the top vent, ICM2, and ACC unit. Of course to use the system in these cars, ICM2 needs to stay in tact (and I was using it to handle my aux-in.) So I removed the front panel of the ICM2 and pushed the actual unit back further in the hole. It isn't pictured, but I ended up mounting it right in the hole under where the A/C comes out to use as a surface for mounting my tablet. (see pic 2 for mounting)

I have some ABS plastic sheeting coming in Friday, which I will use to cover the holes in pic 3 (sorry for the bad pic quality btw). I will cut a hole to allow the tablet screen to remain visible.

So I now have a touchscreen, android based navigation and infotainment system, compatible with almost any app on the market. It syncs every time I come home via wifi to my iTunes library too ;ol;

Whenever it gets power (it is hardwired to the cigarette lighter, like you would do to install a radar detector, gets powered when the car is started), it turns on bluetooth (to connect to the keyboard/remote) and GPS, and connects to the car home app for easier navigation. Whenever it stops getting power (car turned off) it goes into a power saving mode and closes any running apps (like navigation, music, etc). I also have Torque installed to connect to the ECU to view various data.

I also have a keyboard to control the tablet so I don't have to reach up to touch it (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/03/rii-remote-20100305-600.jpg) that is mounted within arm's reach

So what do you guys think so far? I can't wait to get my abs plastic friday so I can finish it up.

See less See more
#5 ·
Very nice install - it looks good already but if you say you're going to make it even better that's great...sounds like you've really paid attention to all the details.
Being able to run Torque right on your dash is pretty sweet (not to mention navigation and everything else)! Two questions - can you only switch to aux using the steering wheel, and are you using a standard bluetooth OBD reader (if so, is it plugged in all the time)?

Again, you did a really good job from the looks of it and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first 9-3 with a tablet built in. Either way, well done. ;ol;

#6 ·
Yeah I have torque connected with a bluetooth ODB reader that is always plugged in. It goes into a standby mode when the car is off. And yeah I switch to aux with the steering wheel (since the controls for the ICM2 are removed. I can sell them to someone if anyone wants the control panel... if they want a new display, new buttons, etc).

Thanks for the praise, I spent a lot of time on it ;ol;

#10 ·
thanks. I'm using tasker. when it gets power it turns on the screen, keeps it on, turns on GPS, turns on bluetooth, and goes to the home screen. when it stops getting power, it shuts off apps (music, navigation, torque), shuts off bluetooth/gps, and turns the screen off. I've ordered some carbon fiber wrap to cover the plastic to make it look better.

#15 · (Edited)
thanks! I added carbon fiber to it now and it looks better.

(for some reason the pic looks like the carbon fiber has air bubbles, it doesn't :confused: maybe it hadn't settled yet when i took the pic.)

How are you running/navigating the tablet?
using sygic :cheesy:

edit: i think i misread what you're asking. i have a bluetooth keyboard with a dpad to navigate through the tablet (or you can use the touchscreen)

#20 ·
Well mine was to the point that it wouldn't start and all the radio settings had reset (I actually did the same thing as you haha, I was doing some work on the car and didn't realize how long I had been working). I'm not sure if that is even a tech2 setting, who knows. If it ever stops working I'll just pickup a new icm2 on ebay and take off the control panel

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
Hey guys,

If you are doing this or something similar, make sure to keep the ICM panel! I had to replace mine. I took it apart and hid it behind the dash. It also improves the sound quality when the panel is installed.

I believe there is a light sensor on the ICM panel to monitor the cabin lighting at night, which will control the interior lighting. When I first did this, I noticed the interior lights were dimmer, but today I just installed some mini LED lights by the light sensor on the ICM panel and hopefully this will fix the issue.

#26 ·
Make that today... I dropped my car off a few hours ago and they said it should be ready sometime tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it back, I'm excited to have it done and looking professional...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.