SaabCentral Forums banner

Reliable MEchanic Princeton NJ- blown head gasket

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  robw 
#1 ·
I am a newbie on this forum and am very impressed with the infromation exchange. It looks like the head gasket on my 2001 95 SE. There is oil sluge in the coolant. Would anyone from this wonderful forum.. please recommend a non dealer mechanic. I have already spent a lot on this car.
I thank you so very much for your anticipated help.
You all have a wonderful holiday season.
Dosh:cry:

#2 ·
I'm sure your diagnosis is right but.......

Where have you seen this sludge? Are you losing coolant?

The reason I ask is that we have seen a number of cars with emulsified oil in the top of the dip stick tube which turned out to be no more than condensation caused by lost of short journeys......

Welcome by the way ;)

#3 ·
Thanks Chris!

The sludge is in the coolant reservoir. It is dirty creamish. I am not sure why the oil goes into the coolant and not coolant in the oil. What could possibly cause this-just curious? Is it possible to guess where this leak may be. Is it head gasket or could it be somewhere from the turbo? And if I drive this car any more, what is the likely consequence?

I hope someone from the forum helps out with a good mechanic. Also what is the typical cost of changing the head gasket if it is indeed the problem?

Dosh

#4 ·
Do you have a V6? It is a bit common for one to have its oil cooler give up; it is set in the engine block between the heads and cools to the water jacket and when it fails oil seeps into the coolant and with the heat and pressure it emulsifies to yield a brown sludge. If ignored a head gasket will fail. If you have a 4cyl then your first diagnosis is probably correct; Saabs are not known for porous head castings.

#5 ·
Thanks Ragtopcav,

Yes I do have a V6, 3.0 L engine turbo.
How can one tell if this is only the failure of the oil cooler and not head gasket or both? If it was the blown gasket what other possible symptoms that are a sure sign i.e. white smoke or coolant in oil or loss of coolant and oil etc.
Is the cooler something that one can repair easily? It would greatly help if someone could share a picture and how to repair this in cold winters of New Jersey.
You guys are a very informative bunch, I could not find better teachers. I appreciate all your inputs.
Dosh

#6 ·
Hi,Dosh!

If it was a blown gasket wich causes coolant contamination then you would expect following:
- very firm radiator hoses when trying to squeeze them
- smell of exhaust from coolant reseuvoir
- coolant bubbles up
- increase in engine temperature

#7 ·
Thanks Volk!
Either job, whether a oil cooler or head gasket, appeares to be out of my league especially when it is freezing outside. I wish I had a warm garage.
I hope someone provides me with a reliable cost effective mechanic in centeral New Jersey.
I certainly appreciate all the responses.
Dosh

#9 ·
Thanks Red Baron,

Found Art's Garage in Hopewell but not in Ewing. Is this one and the same or there is definitely one in Ewing. I can certainly tow the car there. I would greatly appreciate it if you can confirm Art's garage being in Ewing and not Hopewell township.

Dosh

#10 ·
Talked with Art's garage. A very honest person but he only works on the older Saab and did not feel comfortable working on a V-6. Unfortunatley he was not able to recommend anyone else.
I wonder if someone from the forum be able to recommend any other reliable mechanic in central NJ.

As always I thank you,
Dosh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.