SaabCentral Forums banner

Heated seat doesn't

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  JMarkert 
#1 ·
Trying to find the fault with the front driver's seat heater (already checked fuze)! Read the posts regarding disassembling and fixing broken heater elements so decided to do some detective work. Should the 2 spade connectors in the large plug on the seat have continuity across them or does the thermostat disconnect the circuit?

#5 ·
If anybody figures out a solvent to remove the heater element from the foam pad, I'd sure like to know. The shop manual recommends benzene, which sounds a bit too carcinogenic for me. A chemist friend (like the guys who play in labs, not the ones who give you pills at the pharmacy for our UK friends) suggested gasoline since it's a good solvent and low on carcinogens (relatively), but the thought of having that smell in the vehicle makes me nauseous.

#6 ·
High toluene cellulose thinners lifts the elements off but it does bloom up the foam a lot to and whilst wet it is very weak, so if you use this stuff go carefully. Gasoline contains benzine IIRC and this works too.

As for the temp switch, I meant degC as in Celcius, 37degC is roughly core body temperature.

#7 ·
Sorry, my brain had an open circuit as well as my seat heater! So I should be seeing continuity across the plug terminals for both the squab and backrest if there is no problem? because neither give a reading, surely this means the thermo is likely faulty and open circuit all the time?

#8 ·
I've just been playing with my continuity meter again and have figured out the following:

The black wire to the squab heater is interrupted at the backrest plug (obviously). The 2 black wire circuit to the backrest is open. The circuit from the backrest socket to the main seat plug is closed. Therefore logically the problem lies in the backrest, not the squab element or thermostat. I'm going to dig deeper! Thanks for your moral support!

#9 ·
cleeland said:
If anybody figures out a solvent to remove the heater element from the foam pad, I'd sure like to know. The shop manual recommends benzene, which sounds a bit too carcinogenic for me. A chemist friend (like the guys who play in labs, not the ones who give you pills at the pharmacy for our UK friends) suggested gasoline since it's a good solvent and low on carcinogens (relatively), but the thought of having that smell in the vehicle makes me nauseous.
I'd suggest not using solvent might be possible. You might be able to peel off the heating element, when i did mine it seemed like this would be possible. Best yet, try to find the break and solder a fresh wire across it, thereby escaping the problem :D

I just don't see how removing the whole heating pad with solvent (gasoline, benzene) can possibly turn out well....

#11 ·
JMarkert said:
I'd suggest not using solvent might be possible. You might be able to peel off the heating element, when i did mine it seemed like this would be possible.
It doesn't always. There are points where it just starts to tear the foam pad.
Best yet, try to find the break and solder a fresh wire across it, thereby escaping the problem
What kind of wire do you use? There's lots of current surging through those wires.
I just don't see how removing the whole heating pad with solvent (gasoline, benzene) can possibly turn out well....
Perhaps, but that's what the Saab manual recommends :confused:

#12 ·
OK an old thread of mine that has some pointers right here.

I have soldered in new patches of wire in a 9000's seat years ago, I used slightly thicker wire, so in effect a wee cold spot is created [less resistence] it's hot spots that need to be avoided.

#13 ·
cleeland said:
Perhaps, but that's what the Saab manual recommends :confused:
Yes, I know that's true, but I also agree that soaking a foam seat in a flammable carcinogen can't be ggod :D.

I got lucky when it came time to do mine, I was able to get the foam for the seat off of ebay with the heater pad attached. I have a 94, and the foam was from a 97. I heard here that the seats were a bit different, but the foam was a perfect match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.