Discount Viggen. Let's go. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1 Week Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)
Default Discount Viggen. Let's go.

A couple weeks ago I was referred to a guy selling a Saab. He didn't know much about it, hadn't owned it long, and didn't want it any more. Baddabing baddaboom, I have an '02 Viggen convertible.

Whoops.

$2000 Viggen in my second favorite color. I'm not mad at it, but obviously at $2k you gotta expect stuff.

Going into it, I knew I was going to have to deal with the air dam, boost pressure was low, battery useless, AC worked poorly at best, SID was missing the bottom half, and a fierce oil leak that had coated the entire front of the engine with goop. But, I mean, $2000 and it actually ran.

Aside from the front air dam

The body is in nice shape. The interior looks good too

I didn't notice on the initial test drive, but the driver's window is horribly out of alignment, so that's on the to-do list.

The oil mess seemed a result of a leaky valve cover

The wheels are pretty scuffed up, which like the air dam is no surprise. I don't know why people have such a hard time not running into things, but whatever. Probably never going to do anything about the wheels, but I suppose if I ran into a set of just the right wheels 'n' tires I might... the Toyo LuxoTour (or whatever they are tires) suuuuuuuuuuck.

Last week I replaced the battery and put a full tank of Chevron 91 in it, and that helped it start reliably and improved the boost situation almost immediately.

I put in a starting order with eEuroparts and that showed up yesterday... just in time for one of the passenger-side top rams to die and dump hydraulic fluid all over my drive. AWESOME!

It's okay, it's gonna be REAL HOT for a few days, I'm not putting the top down anyway. Plus, now it's laid up in the driveway undergoing exploratory surgery.

I started in on the easy stuff last night - replacing the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and "distributor plug"

Looks okay under the valve cover - cams show no wear, tappets look good. Oil is really black, and that discoloration isn't great - but the good news is no sludge or carbon buildup. It's sure still possible the sump is sludgy, but since the top end looks good it's probably fine down there as well.

I noticed immediately the "timing chain control pad" was missing entirely, which I have never seen before. Usually they are brittle and hard as a rock, but never missing. Fortunately I had a new one in the garage so I was able to install it.

Spark plugs were BEAT, so I'm glad I planned to replace them. No idea what's going on with #4 over there - would be concerned that was from coolant contamination (head gasket failure) but it doesn't appear to lose any coolant. I think more likely it's ash from oil contamination or maybe they are overheating? I wonder if a Viggen on regular gas causes this...

While reassembling, I dropped my torx socket onto the belly pan and could not fish it out with a magnet, so I had to remove the pan to retrieve it. Really annoying. While down there, I couldn't help but noticed someone had written on the Jiffy Lube et al oil filter...

UGH. 2012! It puts a little panic in me, but the oil was full, no clatter from the engine, there is no cam wear, and the three year old battery had failed. Makes me think maybe this car didn't move a lot for a long time. It still sucks to have a five year old filter on it, but there are no immediate signs it's a real problem. I put a new Mobil 1 filter on and will change the oil over the weekend... I needed to do that anyway, I'm just happy I didn't put more miles on it.

Next up is the PCV update, which I really don't want to do. It's gonna be gross due to all the oil from the valve cover leak. C'est la vie - I signed up for this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6, 2000 9-5 Aero mt

Looks like a great find. Consider me jealous.

I'd put dropping the oil pan on that list of stuff to do. I'm sure you are planning it, and after finding that 4 yr old filter it moved up on the list!

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Jun 2015                                                
My Saabs: 67' 96, 02' 9-3SE, 07' 9-3SC
Garage

Nice project! Betta, drop that pan tho...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 1 Week Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

#4 plug is from probably from contamination but could also be poor fuel quality too. Did you at least check (if not retorque) the head bolts while you had the valve cover off.

+3 on the pan drop, cheap insurance to make sure its all good, looks like maintenance wasn't high up on PO's list of priorities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 Week Ago
SaabNut!

I am not immediately planning on dropping the pan. I know, blasphemous, but I have seriously never seen one that shows no signs of sludge but has it... and I'm tired of being disappointed!

I will see what comes out when I drain the oil, but with a clean top end I will probably leave the bottom end alone for now. Since it is going to be sitting for a while I may dump some MMO or some diesel into the sump and see if that changes the equation.

Two other things I forgot: Front left speaker is blown (dash, not door) and a first for me, no chimes. No door chime, no SID chime, no turn signal chime. In a way, I'm not upset, but definitely something I will address.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2013                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 2.0T Stg2, '00 Viggen

Oh wow, great find. Do a compression test and check the timing chain. I'm in a very similar situation as you, only paid even less for mine. Good luck with the project. Great to see another Viggen being saved. Following this closely...
Old 1 Week Ago
SaabNut!

Timing chain looks good - TDC = TDC, which is part of me not being inclined to drop the pan. There are just no outward signs of problems, and I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 2lt turbo convertible

beautiful looking car...I'm jealous too.
You sound like you know what you are doing.
I did the same to my front spoiler about 2 weeks ago... a 90 degree parking space at the beach.
good luck
greycloud
Old 6 Days Ago
SaabNut!

I have had a few NG900/OG9-3s but at 150k this is by far and away the highest mileage car. This one is going to require a lot more work - and I'm sure as I get into it more stuff that needs attention will come up. I probably have better things to do with my time and money, but it's so purty and a Viggen looks nice parked between and SPG and an Aero, so whaddayagonnado?
Old 6 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Jumped into the Viggen this morning, trying to beat the 2000 degree temps that were expected.

Out with the old PCV system...

And back together again...

Visually, really disappointing work!

I dumped in a bottle of Motor Medic Motor Flush into the oil pan - you're supposed to run the engine with it for 5 minutes, but I am just going to let it sit there overnight. I am not worried about anything but the sump. It may or may not do anything, but for $4 and since I'm changing the oil anyway, I figured why not. It'll be exciting to see what comes out tomorrow!

... and that's all I got for today. Going to a show tonight and it's too hot to try very hard.
Old 3 Days Ago
SaabNut!

It's really hot right now - a week of 100+ temps - so work is slow. I didn't change the oil Sunday night as planned, but went out at 9pm yesterday (when it was 97 degrees) to do it. Oil came out looking great - nothing unexpected came out with it. I'm convinced there isn't anything bad going on in the pan.

Next up is fixing the driver's door window as I can knock that out in the evening. Then I need to wait for it to cool down so I can dismantle the interior and figure out what failed with the top hydraulics. I'm leaning towards just replacing the failed part(s), but still thinking about dropping a grand and a half on all new stuff and knowing I never have to worry about it again. If I go that route, it'll have to wait - I need some miles on this car to be certain nothing serious is going to go wrong before spending "restoration money" on it.
Old 9 Hours Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

I'd +4 the pan drop. If someone didn't pull that chain pad out of there on purpose (seems unlikely), the only place for it to go is into your oil pan. Probably got chopped to smaller bits then deposited there to be sucked onto the pump screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement