Central warning light & oil pressure warning light - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Apr 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2001 93 SE convertible
Default Central warning light & oil pressure warning light & POP

I have a 2001 9-3 Convertible with 190k picked up a few months ago and have been working on and driving. Great fun to drive. I initially added Lucas engine stop leak to see if it would help with some leaks and the start up exhaust smoke. Then changed oil after running Seafoam through for a day or two or easy driving. Temps have been in the upper 80's and it seems to run hot and trigger the central warning light and oil pressure warning light especially in sport mode. After this weekend I have since read about the sump issues and clearly need to drop the pan and investigate.

However, my primary issue of this post is while driving this weekend on the interstate for 5 miles in high temps and perhaps running it a bit hard we heard a pop and lost some compression. We slowed, made our exit and it died. Let it cool for a bit, restarted and made it another mile. Same thing again and made it to our destination. No fluid loss. Let it sit overnight, started fine and was able to make it home, 8 miles easy driving. The central warning light & oil pressure lights were flashing, it never died but it is making a new low sounding clicking or tapping noise. Not a lifter sound.

How can i attach a sound file for you fine folks to listen?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by marcdavid; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

This is just a guess, but since you were getting a low oil pressure warning, now you are getting a mini knock, then the bearing(s) might be toast.
You need more posts in order to attach files.
Lucas, seafoam have their applications, but on an old turbo saab car, what usually happens is that it makes it worse as it dislodges all the gunk/sludge.
A pop in these cars usually is a Turbo hose letting loose, or something boost/vacuum related.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

Roll it into the junkyard and buy another one, this time drop the pan (or make sure there is documentation of it having been done recently) when you buy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 96 900 vert; 97 900se vert; 00 9-3vert

Or find a parts car with good motor and swap it. You can also rebuild if you are ambitious. But a knock may indicate crank or rod damage which gets prohibitively costly.
Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: Apr 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2001 93 SE convertible

pulled valve cover and pan, heres pictures...
thoughts appreciated on next steps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_151021.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	216618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_104913.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	216626   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_104857.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	216634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170617_150839.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	216642  
Old 5 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Looks like its sludged up. Clean the crap out of the strainer, oil pan, etc. with oven cleaner. Did you pull the chain tensioner, the chain looks slack, if not pull it and measure. Put it back together, new oil filter, run some cheap oil, get it hot, drain it, then refill and see what you come up with. People have been lucky this way. But if it knocks on the first start up with cheap oil, well...
Old 5 Days Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

You'll probably want to plastigauge the bearings before putting it all back together.

Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: Jun 2017                                                
My Saabs: C900, 9-3 convertible

You might want to check the harmonic balancer / crankshaft pulley just to rule this out:
forums/showthread.php?t=457369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement