Central locks - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd November 2016

Join Date: May 2014                                                
My Saabs: 900s Convertible 1998
Default Central locks

My central locks just stopped working, don't work with the fob or the key.

Where do I start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd November 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 96 900 vert; 97 900se vert; 00 9-3vert

fusebox
Old 2nd November 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero my-06 & my-08 1,9TiD Hirsch

Check fuses.
Try to disconnect battery for 10 minutes.
If these won't help, you probably have either bad driver door lock or central lock box.

Old 2nd November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmi View Post
Check fuses.
If these won't help, you probably have either bad driver door lock or central lock box.
I'll do that. Where is the "central lock box"?

Would the 'bad driver door lock' still be a problem if you use the key in the driver's side?
Could it be fixed by lubrication or do you mean the solenoid is burnt out?

Is the driver's side lock a sort of a master lock?
My car is RHD, is it still the driver's side or will it be the other side?
Old 3rd November 2016
Saab Lunatic

Yes it can, because lock position is given by reed relay and magnet. If reed relay is "wrong position" central lock assumes that you have open driver door and doors will not lock.
Driver door is in your case RHF, as you have RHD car.
Old 3rd November 2016
Saab Lunatic

Double post.
Old 4th November 2016
Saab Crazy

Central lock module is located behind the rear driver side (LHD) panel near the rear speaker in US verts. It'd probably be odd for that to fail. A blown fuse may indicate a sticking or stuck door lock.

I found a weird issue with the remote, it won;t work if you have one door in lock and one in unlock - both doors need to be in the same position. I replaced a bad fuse and it was still not working which drove me nuts until I realized this.
Old 4th November 2016
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2015                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2001 9-3

that same issue happened to me on the all locks not in same position. once was when i was working on the car and had the battery unhooked so i was using the key to get in and "unlocking" the doors i needed access to manually. one door i didn't unlock and then when i was all done i had to scratch my head for a half hour.

also it just happened last night because my daughter leaned on and locked one of the back doors, then exited the opposite door when we arrived, and i had no remote locking until i figured it out again. this time much less than a half hour though
Old 5th November 2016

I don't think it's lock position because we've been manually locking the doors then I hit the immobiliser/alarm and have to hit it again to get back in.
The locks all start at the down position and stay down after I get the 2 horn beeps.

The battery is disconnected at the moment, I'll make sure all the locks are aligned when I hook the battery up again.

Every other issue I've had with the alarm, immobiliser, ECU has been solved with a new battery, either the main car battery or a new fob battery.

Not this time.
Old 5th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmi View Post
Check fuses.
Wasn't it.
Old 8th November 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

A funny thing happening on my 900 is the remote stops working. Push button forever, nothing happens.

I tracked it down (I think) to the 20A fuse that's security/telephone. It wasn't blown, but the contact legs were kind of corroded. Replaced with a better fuse, remote works again.

My theory is that the remote signal receiver draws so little current, having poor conductivity in the feed circuit shuts it down. I will note that I do have an audio amplifier wired into the same circuit (off the phone power supply). That might be causing some kind of buildup on the fuse.
Old 8th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
A funny thing happening on my 900 is the remote stops working. Push button forever, nothing happens.

I tracked it down (I think) to the 20A fuse that's security/telephone. It wasn't blown, but the contact legs were kind of corroded. Replaced with a better fuse, remote works again.

My theory is that the remote signal receiver draws so little current, having poor conductivity in the feed circuit shuts it down. I will note that I do have an audio amplifier wired into the same circuit (off the phone power supply). That might be causing some kind of buildup on the fuse.
I'll have a look but the alarm and immobiliser still work off the fob, just not the central locking. Central locking doesn't work with the key either.
Old 8th November 2016
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.0T

Old 9th November 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash635 View Post
I'll have a look but the alarm and immobiliser still work off the fob, just not the central locking. Central locking doesn't work with the key either.
Yes, that's a different problem.

One funny thing. The LED on the 900's dash sometimes was so faint you could barely see it in the middle of the night. Since I replaced the 20A fuse with a clean one, it's flashing as bright as the 9-5. So "dim LED" may be a good prompt to look at the condition of the fuse, making sure there's no corrosion. (Now I want to pull all the fuses.)
Old 9th November 2016
Saab Crazy

I went back through my electrical problem post here http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...highlight=lock
to see if I forgot anything - which I did.

I was going through the wire harness, ground points and everything under the sun. Then one day when I shut the car off and the doors immediately locked and the alarm light went on. I then noticed that something heavy was sitting on the alarm fob while I had been driving. I'm wondering if having the remote button pushed as the car was shut down allowed a bit of a power surge or something crazy that may have pushed a sticky door lock motor into working. Right after this happened the door lock was stuck closed - you could not pull it up by hand or turn it with key. At some point it did let loose - probably when the fuse blew. Replaced fuse and it worked but you could hear the lock motor sounded strained. Eventually replaced the motor (actually the entire door) and all is well.

Sorry for long story - but point is you probably need to get into door to inspect motors.

Also if you have a Tech2 you can operate remote buttons and the Tech2 will tell you if signal is being received which will eliminate fob and receiver.
Old 10th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkcc View Post

Also if you have a Tech2 you can operate remote buttons and the Tech2 will tell you if signal is being received which will eliminate fob and receiver.
The central locks don't work off the key or by operating the snipper so it's not the fob.

I know of 1 (one) workshop in this city with a Tech 2 who'll work on SAABs and they are very expensive.

The only decent indy here died of brain cancer before he fixed my convertible top and took my $600 with him.
I wasn't about to chase his widow for it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Still not working.

The alarm and anti theft still work off the fob but the central locks don't work at all.
Not off the fob and not if I push the door lock manually.

I can hear the fuel cap lock operating and I can also hear a chnk noise in the driver's door (rhd)
I took the door card off and looked at the lock motor while I operated the fob, I could hear the noise but there was no movement in the rod that goes to the lock button.
I couldn't feel anything on the rod when it made the noise either.

I had someone hold the door light button in when I did this so the car didn't know the door was open.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

Take a close look at the bottom of the solenoid, they can pop out of the casing meaning when you activate them, the rod doesn't move just the bottom gets pushed down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

If one doesn't work then the one on the other side won't work either?

How do I get to the motor, it was difficult enough to look through a hole at the top of it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Looks like I have to take the door latch mechanism out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement