Possible solution for leaking Convertible Top hydraulic cylinder seals - Page 7 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd November 2015

Join Date: Nov 2015                                                
Default cleaning up after your leaky rams

By the way, if you guys see fluid in front of the rear tires, on the ground, you should follow procedure for manually raising your top, so that you can move the top itself, or the top cover (tonneau) out of the way enough to see the source of the leaks. This way, you can mop up the spilled hydraulic fluid from your trunk area, to prevent ruining the top or the trunk or rear seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th January 2016

Join Date: Jul 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 93 convertible
Default Maybe a stupid question but ...

The prospect of removing the hydraulic fluid reservoir and re-filling for someone who is as claustrophobic and mechanically clumsy as I am is daunting. Would the hydraulic system crash if a small hole was made at the top of the reservoir, the fluid injected through that small hole and then the hole patched? If multiple re-fillings are necessary to fix the leaky pistons, the task is made easier by having made the refill portal more accessible. What do you think?
Old 16th January 2016
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

You can't really gain access to the top of the reservoir without already removing the access panel and lifting up the pump assembly and reservoir, at which point it is just easier to remove the plug from the reservoir and fill it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 16th January 2016

Join Date: Jul 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 93 convertible

The reservoir isn't the plastic tank that you see when you remove the access cover?
Old 18th May 2016

Join Date: May 2016                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 convertible hot aero 2.0 T

Hi
I have just bought a 2000 hot aero convert and I had no roof working.
Check the maxi fuse in engine bay next to battery first?
Also check the black cap on the motor in boot.
Ensure connections are correct !
That fixed mine
Now it's leaking fluid on passenger side dripping on floor
Had inner panel off and can't see a lot but piston slightly wet inside
Next step roof halfway up and check in there?!
Thx
Old 17th August 2016

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Hey guys. Totally going to try this on my best friends 99 9-3 convertible with a pretty bad leak from the drivers side hydraulic ram. What I am wondering is. I have a 2001 9-3 convertible, My system is working perfectly fine at the moment. I was reading on the lucas website that the additive is also good for working units to help prolong the life of the system. Do you guys think that I should put some in mine to help keep it running well or just leave it alone?
Old 25th March 2017

Join Date: May 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 Linear 1.8t Convertible
Default cycle 20 times ???? speed it up

The simple answer is to obtain a hypodermic and squirt 5ml into each port on the leaking hydraulic ram. Also top up the reservoir with a 4:1 mix. But put some fluid where it is needed first. Guarantee only 3 cycles needed. Not 2 dozen !!!
Old 25th March 2017

Wink pumping pumping

You could wait for the fluid to cycle through the system and I guess 20 times roof up and down guarantees it.....but if the object of the exercise is to run the stop leak past the LEAKING seals, put some stop leak at the seals.....for the price of fiddling with two circlips. Even if you have to cycle 6 times......put the fix where it is needed. The reservoir .....mix some Lucas hydraulic stop leak into the system at the correct 4:1 ratio.....but also squirt some directly into the affected cylinder. If the stop leak solution works for you.....this is faster. If it doesn't then go to tophydraulics for a better than OEM replacement or find a wreck and chance a 2nd cheapest fix.
Old 25th March 2017

Default heck no

PS: you can always pay $500 plus for a new cylinder..... but owning a SAAB is about being attentive to the user forum to understand the problem and solve it cheaply ( kudos to you) or you are so rich you don't care.....anything but a SAAB sucks. When you solve it yourself, satisfying.....and the new history of owning SAABs means you appreciate good engineering at any cost (new oxymoron) or you understand carmakers today do not care about your experience. I enjoy my SAAB so much I almost want to learn Swedish. It doesn't assist my conscience that there is an IKEA store across the road. Does anyone else think IKEA should stock SAAB parts? Does anyone think the manager of the local IKEA should drive a SAAB and not a Volvo????
Old 25th March 2017

Unhappy

Yep.....he drives a toyota
Old 25th March 2017

Wink Should I do mine?

80% success rate as near as I can tell here and across other forums....so be proactive and prevent!!!!
Old 6 Days Ago

Join Date: Jun 2017                                                
Thumbs up Wanted to say thanks

I was so upset when my top stopped working, I took it to a very trusted mechanic who has always been honest and he told me that the parts for my 1999 93 would cost between $1,000 and $2,000 and that his fee would be around $300.00 for labor. By all accounts this is a very reasonable price, but considering the car has 150,000 miles on it and probably isn't worth the cost of the repair I was bummed that my SAAB wouldn't function as a convertible since I have always loved how this car looks and feels with the top down. I mean it's the whole reason I bought the car in the first place. I then did a ton of research on the hydrolic lines and were to replace them. Long story short the lines are difficult and expensive.

After a number of searches I came upon this Forum and wow! I purchase the Lucus oil and the Hydrolic fluid, I couldn't find the SAAB OEM fluid so I purchased RAVENOL J1B1001 - SSF Hydraulic Fluid 1 Liter and Lucas Oil 10019 Hydraulic Oil Booster and Stop Leak - 32 oz.

Total cost of about $30.00 combined, another $2.00 for a funnel and $2.00 for a bottle with a small pouring cap. I use a Solution that was about 25% Lucas oil. I made sure it was well mixed.

My Hydraulic motor is in good shape as were the rams they all looked clean and mostly rust free and none were showing any leaks, However the line while being inspects completely showed there age. They are so brittle the plastic coating begins to crumble away the moment I move them or touched them.

The Lucas oil is extremely thick and I think it is the thickness that increases the pressure in the lines and get the system working again.

I had to manually open and close the top several times, using the wheel jack wrench to unlock the tourneu top cover, as shown on page 93 or 96, of the owners manual. I did this after adding the mixture, it helps circulate the mixture through the system.

Thank you to whoever originally posted this suggestion. It worked amazingly well. My top is functioning very well. The motor sounds smooth and all systems are working perfectly.

Let me say it again, Thank You.

I did a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement