Possible solution for leaking Convertible Top hydraulic cylinder seals - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th September 2009

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: saab 9-3 2000 convertible

Hello there
To Lurlad andWell I got a 9-3 2000 a year ago and of course the bows are leaking... Great car otherwise. So I bought a set on ebay, and 3 out of 4 have what seems to be a small leak-don't know yet as the repair is from this morning. So I am considering the Lucas fix. How has it been holding for you? And did you drain the existing fluid beforehand so as to mix up properly? No damage to the pump?
Pascal

Last edited by PascalG; 30th September 2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th September 2009

Join Date: May 2005                                                
Default So far So good... Kinda

Hi. I did not have to drain the existing solution. I thought it better to add a mix to the pump tank, and then as the neat fluid leaked out it would start to be replaced by the mix, which then would start sealing the seals. All worked fine for 1 1/2 years. Then one of my hoses ruptured. Since it needed a Tach II to unlatch the cover, I was forced to have the dealer replace the hose ... $600 . Now one of the cylinders is leaking agin as the dealer drained the system and would only add neat solution to the system. Next time I have a free hour, I'll be adding a couple of shots of mix back in the tank. Good luck. Let me know how it works out! Greg
Old 30th September 2009

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 93 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalG View Post
Hello there
To Lurlad andWell I got a 9-3 2000 a year ago and of course the bows are leaking... Great car otherwise. So I bought a set on ebay, and 3 out of 4 have what seems to be a small leak-don't know yet as the repair is from this morning. So I am considering the Lucas fix. How has it been holding for you? And did you drain the existing fluid beforehand so as to mix up properly? No damage to the pump?
Pascal

So mine is still working after the first fill up - no signs of leaking. I estimated how much of the Lucas to add to the res - to end up at the correct % and then mixed. My attitude if I am honest is I have nothing to lose - so I was actually going to add more if this did not work - but no - need - hope it works for you !

Stephen

Old 19th November 2009

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 SE convertible

How can you guys tell if it's the cylinder or the hose leaking? I have leaking convertible top system but I can't tell what is leaking.

Last year I filled the cylinder with the fluid but it leaked out right away. I can't tell what is leaking. Any easy way to find out?
Old 21st March 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9.3 Convertible
Question Convertible Top

I am so glad I came across this forum. I have acquired 99 9.3 Convertible just recently and there are no books, etc. It is a learning experience to say the least - and the top - although motor runs - is slow at best - this vehicle has been sitting for 2 years - and after lubing the hinges, etc. and manually moving it up and down - it actually works a little - I will be having the hubby follow your suggestions here and fill the hydraulic fluid - one question....where is the hydraulic fluid container and how do you get to it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dodgeboysmom
Old 21st March 2010

The reservoir is located behind the rear seat. Lower the back of the rear seat, and look where the pass thru to the trunk is. You need to remove the black plastic trim. Below that is a metal plate. Remove the bolts forward and aft that hold that plate in place. The pump and reservoir are below it as you rotate the plate up and to the rear. The filling nut on the translucent reservoir is on the right.
Also to the poster that asked about the lines or clylinders leaking, when you open the top, stop the process just after the hard cover opens. Be careful it does not close on you. You can move some of the boot materials on the left and right sides and see the conditions of the lines and cylinders.
Old 21st March 2010

My Saabs: 1999 9.3S 2.0L CONV

Where is the best place (price) to get the roof oil??
Thanks
Old 21st March 2010

I don't remember where I got it on the web, but Google 'Lucas 100% Petroleum Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak' and a quart is not to much. You will also need a small bottle of covert. top fluid from SAAB, which is costly (if I recall about $60/bottle)
Greg
Old 25th March 2010

Thank You for this fix.
Now the only problem It seams to have is
when i release the top, press the button it starts, goes for about 4sec and stops. release the button and press again nothing press the other way the windows come down and so i release and press down and it runs all the way through. Top stowed and all set.

Do I still have a small amount of air??
Or....?

I have checked the switches and they appear to be working correctly.

If I put the roof back up and leave it for a bit it will repeat the stall. but if i keep cycling it I get NO stall it runs as normal from lock to stow and lock again.,
Thank again so far so good.
Old 28th March 2010

Default Keep cycling the top to work it in

Hey Kermit. Good to hear it's working. You may need to cycle the top 20 times or so for 3 sessions a day apart. The lucas needs to work its way into the seals and actually leak a bit to work. If you still get the stall, add some Saab fluid alone to the system to thin it out just a bit. And then do another 20 cycle session.
FYI, my cyinders are still working fine, but I may have a new (my second one) leak at a cyinder line fitting. My undersatnding is that Saab's vendor for the lines did not crimp the fitting on the lines well and they eventually fail.
Greg
Old 8th June 2010

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Convertible

Thanks for the fix, slight variation but it works well so far!

I could not find Lucas Hydrailic Oil Booster and Stop Leak here in the UK so I used the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak instead.

Works a treat.

Cheers
Mike
Old 8th June 2010

Default Leak no more

Good to hear that.
Greg
Old 15th February 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: .

Springtime Bump.

94 900SET
96 855R
Old 16th April 2011

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: convertible 9-3 1999
Default lucas products

http://www.lucasoilonline.com/produc...019/hydraulics

don't know if anyone is still checking this thread, but is this the right product to buy ?

Thanks for any help
Theresa
Old 29th April 2011

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: '98 9-3 Convertible

Thats the one! I got mine this week from Ebay here in the UK. Regards Shaun
Old 8th May 2011

After having that little trouble last year and applying the fix, I put the top down for the first time this year and not a single problem after sitting all winter.
Old 11th May 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 white pearl 9-3 convertible

Hi guys,got the same problem here in Canada. Do you know if its possible to rebuilt the cylinder? If not i will try the mix....
Old 11th May 2011

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 00 Viggen(Sold) 07 Aero Vert
Default Rams

I have done at least three treatments of Lucas on my Viggen....still dripping. The last treatment was all Lucas!!! I'm sure I'm pushing the limits of the pump and lines but time will tell.

I contacted these guys: saabs@simply-saab.com

They rebuild the rams but don't offer a seal kit. Here is a little of our email conversations:

Hello Jim
Unfortunately there is no kit to rebuild the rams yourself but we can recondition the Hood rams for you.
The price is 125 each + vat, these are reconditioned hood rams and come with 12 months warranty.
They are on an exchange basis therefore we do need the old leaking rams returned to ourselves, because of this there is also a 50 + vat surcharge attached to the invoice for each ram.
This surcharge is then refunded on receipt of your old units, as long as they are returned within 3 weeks, have no corrosion on the chrome part of the ram and the ram isn't bent.
The price for delivery to have these delivered to USA will be 50 + vat.
Best Regards
Chris

Hello Jim
I have spoke with my manager who has informed me that we do not require the Main Drive Hood Rams (#5363122 and #5363130) to be returned. Therefore the surcharge will only apply to the 5th Bow Rams.

Also being in the USA you will not have to pay the vat.
Total prices as follows:
Hood Rams x 4 - 125 each Total - 500
5th Bow Hood Ram Surcharge - 50 each Total - 100
Delivery 50 Total - 50
TOTAL - 650

You are correct upon return of the old 5th bow rams you will receive a refund of 100 (50 each ram).
Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Chris

I'm considering this option. Much cheaper than new!! And upon contacting thesaabsite they said they are working on a seal kit.
Old 14th May 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: Blue 2007 93 'vert

FYI...

Also Saabservices.com here in South Fl has top cylinders.

Pricey but I hear they're good.
Old 15th May 2011

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2000 white pearl 9-3 convertible
Default Troubles whit my convertible cover

Hi my convertible cover on my 2000 93 wont open back enough to let the top pass it clearly. I got to bring it back and we got to be 2 person to operate it. Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement