Death Rattle? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3
Default Death Rattle?

I've heard and read about a few different clicks and rattles on this forum this morning but none describe what I hear. I'll describe it and ask it it's familiar to anyone:

Usually heard at low idle, say like at a light. All will be fine until something starts to go "lagga lagga lagga". Almost like it's a pulley not always in play coming loose. That idea would point to the AC somethinorother but I'm unfamiliar with the whole setup. If I rev the engine it will stop but may return quickly.
Does this sound like a common thing? I'll pull the belt and spin things but figured I'd ask while I'm stuck in the office...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                

Pull belt like you state, go from there. How many miles, ever see the oil pressure light? Exhaust, sometimes a loose exhaust will rattle until you get going?
Old 4 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2015                                                
My Saabs: (2)'99 verts,(2)2k vert&htbk,(2)02 vert

pull the belt on a cold engine so you can run it for a few minutes, a bad alternator will sound like rocks in a dryer, but you can isolate the A/C with the short belt.

Old 4 Days Ago

About 121k miles. No oil pressure indicator since ownership (1 month). I don't think it's exhaust. It really does sound like some pulley. Just concerned it may be water pump, not auxiliary thing like AC. There had been some rubber burning smell when using the ac not too long before this rattle started. As you can tell I suspect the ac. The noise also has a distinct oscillating sound. It really sounds like something that revolves is coming loose or a rubber bushing burnt up and the pulley it padded is flopping around. It's definitely in the front of the engine, where alternators, fans and other belt-driven things live.
The sound is just so unique that I thought if I described it someone might say "Yup. That's the frakas rod muffler bearing for sure". Maybe less lagga lagga and more woogga woogga with a wob wob wob undertone. I wonder if I could record and post it. I'm locked down so tight at work I have to use my phone just to post on here...
Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 215K; 2008 9-5 150K

If it's coming from the passenger side and you have a large (18" or so) breaker bar or 1/2" ratchet extension - WITH THE ENGINE OFF - find the serpentine belt tensioner hole which faces up. It's about 1/2" square. Insert the bar or extension and lever the tensioner forward so you know how it moves. Then, with the engine idling CAREFULLY lever it again. If the sound lessens or goes away when you take tension off the belt then you know it's one of the pulleys that's belt-driven: tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, power steering pump, ac compressor, alternator. Remove the bar. Then, with the engine idling use a mechanic's stethoscope, long screwdriver, ratchet extension, breaker bar, etc. and CAREFULLY probe whatever belt-driven accessories are suspected. If you place one of these bars on the item and hold the other end near or against your ear it will be apparent where the noise is coming from. Again, be careful with the engine running with a rotating belt!
Old 4 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

FWIW, I have seen several cars make terrible noises from failed serpentine belt tensioners - you can usually eyeball them pretty easily by shining a light down on them (back the engine, in front of the firewall, passenger side) and watch them jiggle around in time with the noise.
Old 3 Days Ago

Thanks gents. These are good pieces of advice. I have to get the heat shield off and spend a little more time investigating. By any chance does anyone have access to WIS (still don't even know what that stands for) diagrams of this area? It's a 2001 9-3 turbo 2.10L.
Old 3 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauffrey View Post
Thanks gents. These are good pieces of advice. I have to get the heat shield off and spend a little more time investigating. By any chance does anyone have access to WIS (still don't even know what that stands for) diagrams of this area? It's a 2001 9-3 turbo 2.10L.
WIS is Workshop Information System. Go to the Tech II workshop, where' there's a sticky of WIS to download that works fine on Windows 10. It's invaluable in troubleshooting, seeing how things go together, etc.
Old 3 Days Ago

THIS is the sound (not my vid but seems to be quite common): https://youtu.be/jRUrFHkdRAg
Old 3 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

Oh yeah, that's definitely an AC compressor. That's easy to diagnose... just turn it off. Happens to all cars. I had a Saturn with a dying compressor, sounded the same whenever it was on.
Old 3 Days Ago

I don't think so. This happens whether the AC is on or off. In order to eliminate the compressor I've read here that you must install a smaller diameter serpentine belt. Unfortunately, June/July not the best time to be eliminating the AC.
Old 8 Hours Ago

Saab Masochists,
So the screaming pulley got bad yesterday and pretty much completely seized today. On the way home I could smell the serp belt burning periodically. When I parked it I noticed smoke coming from the front right of the car and got the flashlight on my phone out just in time to watch the serp belt MELT on what I think is the AC compressor pulley.

My questions to you are:

Is the short belt i need to temporarily eliminate the AC an 1805mm (71") 6-rib belt such as the Autozone 6pk1805?

What is the length of the full size belt (in case I manage to fix the ac at some point?

Is this diagram correct for a 2001 2.0 Turbo manual trans base model?
http://serpentinebelthq.com/1999-saa...-belt-diagram/

Am I supposed to eliminate any other pulleys?

Does anybody know of a non Saab (cheap) idler pulley replacement part?

How do you get melted serpentine belt out of your 3rd degree finger-burns?

Thank you Thank you Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement