"Softop failure" - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 convert auto; 1998 9000CSE auto
Default "Softop failure"

My top went halfway into the opening process and failed. Top motor still running when switch is pushed. PING. "softtop failure" so then I tried to close the top and it closed up to the point where it is supposed to push the front bow slightly forward toward the latches, it did not complete that step. But the rear locking latches under the top did engage.
Prior to this happening I phad the top "bag" pulled up into the "as out of the way as possible" position with the two slightly adjustable trunk-located strap/hooks so that I could put a large item in the trunk. After removing the large item, I dropped the hooks, started up the car and tried to open the top when the above happened.
Shear pin? Sensor? Thoughts? Thinkgs to check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

I doubt it's the bag, but try pushing it up and letting it fall a few times to see if that helps.

Check the fluid level in the pump.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

OK so this AM I tried the top again after "jiggling" the bag a few times. I hear the lock latches release and then nothing but "BEEP" softtop failure"...now the rear window section does not even raise AND I think my car smells like hydraulic fluid, but there are no spots on the driveway, if a hose leaks where does the fluid go? Time to dig in!

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 96 900 vert; 97 900se vert; 00 9-3vert

There are two sensors along the lower back rear of the bag that indicate if the bag is opened or closed, maybe one is stuck, connector is loose or some debris found its way to jam it.

There's a drain under the cylinders on each side of the top behind the rear interior panels that catches fluid and drains it straight down through rubber hose (can't recall if it goes to wheel well or in front of wheel well).

Theres also a ram back in the tonneau cover lift mechanism as well which would leak into the trunk as well as a spider's web of hoses coming out of the pump valves.

Those are probably most likely culprits and should be easy to see. If nothing is visible and the fluid is very low, then you may need to start tracing hoses looking for a split.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

If the pump or a hose in the pump area is leaking, the fluid will be under or around the pump. You will need to pull the cover and look down in there to inspect. There is a portal you can see through via the truck (remove the floor carpet unit) but I don't think you will see much except that the fluid is low.

The drains on the side under the rams are actually for water that gets into the side body areas... they just act as hydraulic fluid drains by accident. The fluid from those should show up in front of the rear tires.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Default Exploratory phase

Fact finding:

Fact 1 - reservior is almost completely empty

Fact 2 - the housing area around the pump is bone dry, hoses not leaking in that area. (That would be too easy..)

Fact 3 - the fluid has been leaking out from the RIGHT side drain

Fact 4 - I need help

What do I tear down to access these hoses and diagnose a split/leak?

What do I fill the reservoir with? eEuro says power steering fluid?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

If fluid is leaking out the right side drain, you need a rebuilt or used cylinder on that side or a hose. You can try filling the reservoir, but if it's anything more than a tiny leak, it won't last long in operation. It might let you lift the cover so that you can check what you need to work on.

Don't use PS fluid. Word is that you can use this FEBI S6161 fluid for the top: https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/hyd...ml?3593=523461
Old 1 Week Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

Bob, I think that Febi fluid is just the Febi/Bilstein equivalent of Pentosin's CHF11S. CHF11S is what is spec'ed for our power steering fluid so therefor you do use our spec'ed PS fluid for the top. But you don't want to use just generic PS fluid (much the same as you wouldn't want to in the PS system).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
Bob, I think that Febi fluid is just the Febi/Bilstein equivalent of Pentosin's CHF11S. CHF11S is what is spec'ed for our power steering fluid so therefor you do use our spec'ed PS fluid for the top. But you don't want to use just generic PS fluid (much the same as you wouldn't want to in the PS system).
Interesting... I didn't realize that. I agree on the generic PS - some of that stuff is darn thick. CHF11S is almost like water.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Crazy

Default Bleeding the system?

So if/when i get the leak found and fixed, I will be refilling with one of these products, will I need to somehow bleed the system of air??
Old 1 Week Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

The system is self bleeding when you operate it. It may require some manual help depending on how much air there is.

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 S , '99 9-3 SE, '03 9-3 SE Vert

You can also just use Hydraulic jack oil. I might be remembering incorrectly, but I think it even says hydraulic jack oil in the owner's manual.

Either way, I used jack oil to refill my system and it works flawlessly.
Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Crazy

Default How much pressure is the top system under?

Ok so.... Get this! As predicted, it was the hose that leads to the top cylinder/pump that is visible inside the top "bag" on the right side right where the opening is for the fluid to drain to the ground. You can see it once you fill the pump and get the top to activate and open the tonneau. Fluid was all over the inside of the top bag too.
But interestingly the hose did not "break" I dont think. The hose separated from the connector housing, almost like it was snapped in place at manufacture and it unsnapped itself, I just took off the housing off the pump and "snapped" the hose back into place and I cannot easily yank it back off...
What are the odds that this will start to function properly again???? Is the hose adtually shot internally?
How much pressure is that hose up against?
So glad it was not one of the cylinders! Thoughts? Gonna reconnect and see if it leaks....
Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Crazy

Lol hose popped right back off and sprayed fluid everywhere. So I clearly need a hose. Continuing to do some research in this area. Looks like it might be more than just this hose but not sure .
Old 4 Days Ago
Saab Crazy

OK so I appear really screwed here. I cannot access the broken end of the hose unless the tonneau cover is up, yet I cannot access the hoses to figure out which hose it is unless the trunk is open which I cannot do with the tonneau cover up. And they are all banded together so finding the unfastened one is a joke. So does anyone know exactly which hose leads to which areas of the top? As they come out of the pump underneath the backseat do you know which hose leads to which area on the right-hand side hydraulic system?
Old 4 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2015                                                
My Saabs: (2)'99 verts,(2)2k vert&htbk,(2)02 vert

Just went thru this on one of mine, usually the G hose IIRC, if one goes you might as well do them all, this site https://www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com/saab/ will be your best price for the set. just make sure to put on the little O ring before installing into the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement