Cluster , ABS, Speed sensor, Ignition switch? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5 Days Ago

Join Date: Apr 2015                                                
My Saabs: 97 900s convertible
Default Cluster , ABS, Speed sensor, Ignition switch?

I'm looking for a little direction on which way to lean on this. I have searched through many of the posts regarding warning lights randomly popping up for a second or two. What I get is the brake warning light, triangle, info, and gas pump symbol lit up. I will also get the tach and speedo to bounce to almost zero, and pop back to normal once and a second later, all warning lights go back off. I also had the fuel gauge go to full and eventually settle back down to 3/4. That has only occurred once that I know of when the rest of the things happen. There is no change in performance. I may get it once a week, or 3 or 4 times during a 50 mile drive. Also seems to happen more often when it's hot out, above 80. I came up the interstate a couple days ago between 75 and 80, and it did it several times in a couple of minutes, so appears to also be more prevalent with speed. I normally don't cruise much above 65. I replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch a few years ago, with a used one. I was having different lights lit up then along with certain positions of the headlight switch. Any Educated guesses where I should be leaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible

Check the solder joints Resistor R13 (IIRC) on the cluster.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/faqs/9-3%...e.html?id=1399

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169179

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 Days Ago

Thanks Jake.. I will probably see if I can find another cluster to put in. While I have mine out, I may attempt a solder repair. My research tells me there were some issues with the 97 cluster. Any idea what years would be a straight swap? 95-98?. Mine is the 2.3, no turbo. Would a cluster with turbo work, or are the connections totally different. Thanks....

Old 2 Days Ago
Saabista

I think all years of the ng900 should work, I don't think the connector changed, the og9-3 connectors are completely different. But you will have a useless turbo gauge if you install a turbo one, also depending on if its auto or not you may have (or not) the shifter display.

Also the mileage will transfer with the cluster, you can swap the rear PCB in the cluster to maintain the mileage, but that is the one with the bad resistor.

Old 2 Days Ago

Thanks Jake.. Any issue you know of with running it like it is, other than the annoyance factor? If not, I may wait until November, when I put it away for the winter, and attempt the repair. I drive the hell out of it spring summer and fall. Hate to have it parked, even for a day if it's nice out. Over 200,000 miles and never been driven in salt or snow.. Thanks, again.
Old 1 Day Ago
Saabista

No, other than the possibility of not being able to recognize a problem due to no gauges (i.e. sudden cooling system failure with no temp gauge). But if the issue is intermittent and usually works you should have no problem. Pulling the cluster and fixing it could be knocked out in an hour or two though.

Old 1 Day Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 96 900 vert; 97 900se vert; 00 9-3vert

I've been holding off pulling my dash apart for a stereo upgrade at which time I'll be attempting the solder fixed. It started out intermittent all the lights would go on. Then all lights or a few lights and all the gauges would drop to zero. Then flashing light xmas light style with gauges at zero. Now it intermittently works correctly and it's normal state is three lights on and all gauges off. Aside from having to estimate speed it doesn't seem to impact anything. This is a replacement unit from Ebay - similar problem with original. I'm thinking soldering is better route than replacement these days unless you have an abundance of clusters or money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement