Paint or not to Paint Trim - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Auto Detailing & Body Repairs

Auto Detailing & Body Repairs Discussions about auto interior & exterior detailing, products and autobody repairs.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6 Days Ago

Join Date: May 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2002 Saab 9-5 V6 3.0T ARC Wagon
Garage
Default Paint or not to Paint Trim

Just got this car couple of weeks ago and looking to paint the car. The hood and roof have the clear coat peeling off. So went and got an estimate to do repairs. Painter said be easier to just paint the whole car. In doing so I was thinking about paint the roof rails, door handles, and all the other pieces that are black the same color of the car. The only thing that wouldn't get painted would be the side window trim. I would leave them black.
What do you all think. Paint or not to Paint the rails? The color is called Hazelnut which I really don't care for. Should I keep the color and maybe go a little darker? Or change it up altogether, like a dark gray? Don't you love those yellow headlights...
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI

Painting a car is almost never a good idea unless it is a rare car and doing so would increase it's value. Just the prep work to remove all that peeling clear is a chunk of money. I wouldn't bother. Just my $0.02
Old 6 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 S , '99 9-3 SE, '03 9-3 SE Vert

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a 9-5 in that color.

I would not paint the trim. Especially not the roof rails. The side trim is easily removable, and simple to paint black again.

You will not want to change the color. To do it properly you would need to have all of the door jambs painted.

As Diggs stated though, just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 6 Days Ago

Garage
Default Cheap Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Painting a car is almost never a good idea unless it is a rare car and doing so would increase it's value. Just the prep work to remove all that peeling clear is a chunk of money. I wouldn't bother. Just my $0.02
Got a quote to paint the whole car, rails and all for $395 1yr warranty. They won't just paint the clear part back or damage areas. They fix all bad spots and spray the whole car.
Old 6 Days Ago

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I'm not sure that I've ever seen a 9-5 in that color.

I would not paint the trim. Especially not the roof rails. The side trim is easily removable, and simple to paint black again.

You will not want to change the color. To do it properly you would need to have all of the door jambs painted.

As Diggs stated though, just my 2 cents.
Your right about the door jambs which cost extra to do. I have seen these cars with all the trim painted. Saab started painting the trim as an option around 06.
Old 6 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 S , '99 9-3 SE, '03 9-3 SE Vert

I say not to paint the trim because it is textured. The trim that comes painted from the factory is smooth and does not have any texture to it. It will not look the same.
Old 6 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6, 2000 9-5 Aero mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
Got a quote to paint the whole car, rails and all for $395 1yr warranty. They won't just paint the clear part back or damage areas. They fix all bad spots and spray the whole car.
395$ is close to what I have paid in materials to do a proper job. Be careful that you are not getting singe stage paint etc. I have read horror stories about places like Maaco. I would just say to be well informed about their process and materials etc. Might not hurt to get a quote from a very reputable place. Find some places that do work for dealerships, they are usually good. In my town we have a classic car shop and I have used the body shop that their cars go to. Excellent work, but not cheap.

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Old 5 Days Ago

Garage
Default Trim removal

Has anyone done a side trim removal thread. Wonder how easy it is to take it off without breaking them. Would be easier to remove them than tape them.
Old 2 Days Ago

Join Date: Sep 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Linear

I hate to be that guy, but you're probably going to end up disappointed. I wouldn't go near that job for less than $1500, for $395 you're getting half assed prep and the cheapest single stage paint money can buy. It's not "easier" to paint the whole car unless the guy spraying it has no clue what he's doing and can't match or blend. Not trying to give you a hard time at all, I just know full well what you're getting yourself into. To do it right, there's $395 or more in materials.
Old 1 Day Ago

Garage

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll just sand it down myself and see about painting just the top part that is peeling off. Shouldn't be all that much.
Advertisement