Whirring noise from transmission - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 2lt turbo convertible
Default Whirring noise from transmission

Hi
1999 2lt turbo has whirring noise from auto tranny.
most notable at low speeds. Checked the trans fluid today. (red/brown)
Did first flush drain from transmission today. Still noisy.Will do second flush tomorrow.
Any ideas? thanks in advance
Greycloud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

More info would help. Does it change in pitch with road speed or engine speed? Does it go away at higher speeds (when the torque converter would lock up)?
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi EdT
Hmm....not sure what you mean by 'road speed or engine speed"?
However when when I put the car in "drive" there is no whirring until the car starts to move,then the whirring rises in pitch as i increase speed. As the gearbox moves into second the whirring pitch lowers in pitch and rises as my speed increases. The whirring sound does seem to be less audible at higher speeds when the car has shifted into fourth.
When I slow to a stop - it (whirring noise) , goes from a high to low pitch as I assume the gearbox goes back into first gear.
Thanks for your help.

Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Engine speed is RPM, changes due to gear shifts/neutral, whereas road speed is just how fast the car is going. So your noise goes with engine speed. So my guess is that it's the torque converter. They can make some fairly high-pitched noises that could be described as "whirring" without anything being greatly amiss.

I would expect those noises to be diminished when the converter locks up, which would definitely happen at some point in top gear, and possibly in lower gears (I'm not that familiar with this unit).

Do the second flush and make sure the fluid level is correct at the end of that. Unless the noise gets a lot louder, the transmission fault light comes on, or you start getting funny jerks or other strange behaviour, I'd say there's nothing to worry about--and nothing obvious to be done.
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi EdT
did the third flush yesterday and took the beast for a drive today. I think the noise has diminished slightly, but it still whirs.
Thank you for your replies and your soothing words.
I have owned 4 saabs, two of which had expensive transmission problems, so I have been quite nervous
I will try to relax.
Thanks
Greycloud
Old 6 Days Ago
Saab Lunatic

I can understand being nervous!

I don't know if there are any TCM fault codes that don't turn on the gearbox light. WIS would tell you. You'd need a Tech II to check if there are any codes set by the transmission controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement