SaabCentral Forums banner

1987 900 turbo BABE Rally project

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Saab named Jag 
#1 ·
the BABE Rally is a yearly challenge where you buy a sub-$500 car and drive it on a 5-day route from New York to New Orleans, facing various challenges along the way. I've done it twice now (once in a Renault Encore and once in a VW Cabriolet), and while looking for a car for this time, I found a $500 Saab 900 turbo 5-speed on my local craigslist. I had an '89 turbo sedan in high school with a dying transmission and a leaky head gasket, but it was a hoot so I bought this one in good faith.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v126/SlickDizzy/Saab 900T/ for more pics

225,1xx miles, had sat for many months before purchase. it looks pretty decent, but marginally leaks transmission fluid, the turbo makes like no boost for some reason, the driver's side door pull snapped in half when I was getting in the car less than an hour after I bought it, the suspension bushings and motor mounts are looser than a...well, you know, and the solid front disc brakes are awful. I've been using it as a daily beater/delivery car, and it has proven to be extremely solid despite its faults.

I'm planning to build it up with a ghetto-WRC kind of theme, and some performance upgrades are in the works. I'll probably start by redoing the ignition system, replacing all the vacuum lines and getting a new dump valve.

should be fun! I've missed having one of these.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.