SaabCentral Forums banner

Engine oil recommendations - 1992 T16S

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  woywitka 
#1 ·
I need to do an oil change on my 1992 T16S within the next month and I wondered what oil to use - mineral, semi or full synthetic. I assume 10/W40 would be a good start but beyond that I'm not sure what type to go for.

Cheers,
Jim

#2 ·
This is gonna be one of those long threads isn't it?!:eek:

You'll see some never seen before leaks of you go to full syn. Plus some people will tell you if you use the wrong stuff it can eat grommets and gaskets.

I do syn blend. A few little leaks (becuase it's much thinner) that I didn't have before, but it keeps the underside from rusting! ;)

#3 ·
Let the games begin!

Oh man - another opinion-fest - better ask about sparkplugs and wires next time -

For oil - use whatever you're comfortable with - it should satisfy the following requirements:

1) be rated for use in an internal combustion engine
2) be slippery
3) be clean
4) be changed, on a regular basis along with the filter
5) should be of an appropriate weight for the normal ambient temperatures where you live.

Beyond that it is (in my opinion) fashion.

Let the games begin!

Steve

#4 ·
Changing the oil frequently is the most important point.

In my T16 I used Valvoline 5w40 fully synthetic. In my new LPT I'll be using Valvoline 5w30 fully synthetic. The regular stuff, not the expensive long-life oil. Bloody expensive these days at £25 for 4L :eek: :evil:

Use genuine Saab oil filters, even though they now come in a GM box :roll:

To play safe, go with whatever is recommended in the owner's manual.

#5 ·
i know a lot will say fully synth, but as said in above thread the mix type is probably best, as these engines however well made were built/designed before fully synetic was about. read the manual use the oil recommended and time change, that's why so many of us have these cars for so long look after them and they last, i'm only on our 19th because i have changed them not because of any failure's, because i have got a better one(2 verts)

#8 ·
Collective data points to the use of a genuine Saab filter or a Mann filter (they are both excellent filters) and Mobil 1 10w-30. Not everyone agrees but i put stupid clicks on my 89' t16. Original turbo, engine, oil cooler and all that jazz-350,000ish km's. Runs like it were new, I redline it daily and peg the boost guage and it feels so good! I had my engine re sealed between my trans rebuild last year and my headgasket last year, yet is seeps a tiny bit out of the new genuine Saab gaskets lol. The car uses 1 litre between oil changes, so i never really need to add.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.