SaabCentral Forums banner

lost key

990 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  iceracer 
#1 ·
Ok heres my problem, i dont actually own a saab, but im trying to help my friend. She has just lost the key to her 88 saab 9000 S and i was wondering if it was possible to get another one for her car without the original. I work with japanese cars and i know that many of the older japanese cars use very few different keys for a certain model. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#8 ·
This is the laser cut key:

The notible part is that fact that the head is square, and the whole body of the key portion is constantly rectangular (while their is a raised portion that looks like a normal key). If her key was this style, I think the dealer has to order a new key directly from Sweden (via VIN).

If the key does not look like this, I guess those are the ones that are attainable right from the dealership.

#9 ·
The industry name for the SAAB type key, according to my locksmith, is 'sidewinder'

Machines to cut them are expensive, and thus fairly rare. If you want a copy made from an original call the locksmith first and ask if he has a machine that cuts 'Sidewinder keys'. If you have lost the original, you will have to go to Saab. If the dealers here charged only $18 they would have lines going out the door. I shudder to think what they will charge for a new key with no original.

#11 ·
midway said:
I shudder to think what they will charge for a new key with no original.
Its $100 some-odd US dollars to get the key made and sent from Sweden.

#12 ·
nakayamakiyoshi said:
im just gonna install new locks for everything because i found the exact car in my local junkyard, and it has the key haha
i have nothign to do now anyways until my mig is fixed

An elegant solution! Be sure you record the original VIN so future keys can be made. Beats the heck out of $100 keys from Sweden. And SAAB wonders why they don't sell more cars!

#13 ·
Be careful here with keys from other cars, if you ever have to have the dealer make new keys they will not do it now unless 1) they know you very well and/or 2) your produce the ownership/registration and proof of who you are (photo ID). This practise is now being applied at all dealerships (not just SAAB) that are responsible since they don't want to become accesories to car theft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.