SaabCentral Forums banner

Please help! Lost key! Need new key!

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Scottiehops 
#1 ·
Lost key - key stolen! Dealership wants $1100 for a new key! Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Is there any way around this or any way to call Saab headquarters? I heard that if you contact them and give them the VIN number they can replicate the key and then mail it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!, Scott

#2 ·
If you lost the only key you have, then you need a new TWICE unit.
They don't want $1100 for a new key ... they want $1100 for a new key AND a new TWICE unit plus installation and programming.

To be able to program a second key, you need at least one.

There have been many, many threads on this in the past ... have a look around.

#8 ·
I know this doesnt apply to the original poster, but say you take the key you have and install it in the console near the key ignition.

Would you be able to start the car with just a cut key then? In other words, install the key with the chip near the ignition, and then get as many cheap keys cut as you want?

2 of my 9-5's only have 1 key each. I do have the immobilizer/twice code that I grabbed from my ECU on the 2004 though for whatever that is worth in the event I did lose that key.... I assume I could just give it to the dealer and have them make another key?

#9 ·
The immobiliser code is not useful in this case. If you loose the last key you are unable to unlock TWICE to code new keys.

You need a copy of a RFID Chip in the key that is coded in TWICE. This tells TWICE to send the immobiliser code to the Trionic.

If you install a working key chip near the receiver in the center console, you can cut as many keys as you like.

#10 ·
Limit of four keys...

If you install a working key chip near the receiver in the center console, you can cut as many keys as you like.
Not quite true. The TWICE is limited to accepting four key codes during its lifetime. Buyers of used cars being offered with only one key should verfy the TWICE can accept one or more additional keys prior to purchase. This can be done with only a couple button pushes on the SID but I don't remember which buttons or sequence.

#14 ·
Here's one thing I am curious about with my 99 9-3

I have only one key, so I want another.

I have a 1999 9-3 parts car with a key and remote

I am thinking to order a blank from Saab, put it in the parts car transmitter and key head, have this programmed for the real car.

But if I put the parts car blank back into the parts car key, will it work in the parts car? Or will I have orphaned its TWICE?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.