SaabCentral Forums banner

Passenger Window Stuck Down! Help Needed Now!

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a problem where my window is stuck down. All of my other windows are working just fine (up down0, none are sticking), the passenger one got stuck down today.

I have already:

-Cleaned the switch console unit
-Just took apart the door, the green rollers are ok, nothing appears to be broken

-and when I move toggle the switch, I hear the window wanting to move, but it just appears to stick.

There is alot of grease where the rollers are....

#3 ·
Something is either worn or out of adjustment.
Difficult to know what it is unless be compare the parts to new..
Adjustments may be possible, probably the design allows for very little.
Do remove the excess grease.
I'd use talc on the rubber, and a drop of "Super-Lube", very carefully, on the mechanisms.
As the passenger window is not usually used that much, I'd look for excessive friction where things should be smooth and easy.
No easy task, IMO.
Imagine the dealer charges at $100 to $200 per hour..and the stress on the mechanic.

#4 ·
yoursolace, it's not the rollers. Checked that.

Earthworm, I will try to do like you said, clean all the grease...etc.

Ok, went to the Saab mechanic today....he said that the motor is stuck, but working since he can get an electrical charge from both wires. He tried to "unstick" it by hitting it with a hammer, but of course, that didn't do. Do you guys know of any other way I can try?

Of course he can only order the Motor with the regulator for 365, an additional 106 for labor. I went to find a better deal, will get the motor for 165. (time was of the essence since it is pouring raining). These guys said I can install the motor myself. (directions would be helpful if you have them).

Thank in advance for all your help.

#5 ·
This depends on your DIY and mechanical skills.

As I recall, last year or so I removed the RS rear door window motor, and then reassembled it...it still works; but I very seldom lower any window; AC is a wonderful thing to have.
If a motor works when tapped, I'd say its brushes are worn, or sticking, no lubrication here, just clean....no rust, no crud..
I cannot see this regulator/motor assembly @ $365....
Why ???
Try an electric repair shop if the motor continues to be recalcitrant; but do all possible to make its task easy.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

Earthworm, how do I g about cleaning out the brushes of the motor? Also, I've never dealt with rivets, so I would have to let the mechanic do this for me. Do you think I could get him to take the motor out and clean the brushes like you said Earthroom? Then I would have to pay only for the labor of that?

Since we are in a rainy season, I wasn't able to wait for a really cheap part, but I was able to over half the cost.

#9 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

Earthworm, how do I g about cleaning out the brushes of the motor? Also, I've never dealt with rivets, so I would have to let the mechanic do this for me. Do you think I could get him to take the motor out and clean the brushes like you said Earthroom? I do not know, this depends on his attitude, his skills, his knowledge, his willingness to experiment and/or learn..Then I would have to pay only for the labor of that? The consumer pays for everything....food for thought.

Since we are in a rainy season, I wasn't able to wait for a really cheap part, but I was able to over half the cost.
Rivets, I drill out, may be able to do this blind folded.
Brushes, one should know their new length.
Measure, if OK, use a little spray of electrical cleaner; the brush must move freely in its housing and its spring must be effective...The motor communicator must also be clean.
Its an expensive part, spending a little time on one cannot hurt..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.