SaabCentral Forums banner

'71 SAAB 99 2.0L (not leyland engined) Needs new home &

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rob Hill 
#1 ·
Hello! i'm new to this forum although you may notice my username is more of the vw persuasion, sorry :p

Anyway my reason for being here is to try and find out how much my mums 1971 saab 99 would be worth and possibly even to sell it!

Its only had 3 owners from new all in the same family!!

It is one of 1000 that came into the counrty with a saab engine (opposed to a leyland engine) which has not even done 100,000 miles.

The car has been off the road for about 5 years due to the exhaust manifold falling in half and not having much luck sourcing another saab one, only leyland ones which are the incorrect bolt pattern.

It's a very very solid car, NO RUST!!, paintwork and interior is starting to show it's age.

can get pictures if wanted...
Anyone interested or can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Mieko.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Saab Central. :D You should really be using the classifieds if you wish to advertise your car :nono;

http://www.saabcentral.com/classifieds/index.php

However, it sounds as if it is a non-runner with no MOT, flat paintwork and tatty interior. a 99 in this state is probably worth between £0-100. Being an early chrome bumper model it's possible that someone somewhere might be prepared to give you a bit more.

Also, if it has the 2.0 Saab engine this has quite likely been swapped out at some point as this wasn't introduced until 72.

best bet might be to sell on Ebay as people seem to pay more for 99s on there..... Or fix it and use it - a far more original and exclusive classic car choice then a Bug :wink:

#4 ·
And that it's a tax excempt car might add a little to the value. It should do really. If you want to sell it, it may pay to advertise it on the owners' club site as well as the 'central classifieds. As heavy says though, currently it's probably not worth much at all. Give it a good plish, get it MOT'd and then it could be worth a couple of hundred - for hopefully not much work to start with. These cars can only go up in value until petrol runs out :)

Heavy, didn't you get a manifold for yours from Saab Sanctuary for almost nothing? Otherwise it wouldn't cost much to get it welded back together. Hopefully nothing else has deteriorated significantly in the 5 years idle (5 years? Pah! Barely had time to cool down :cheesy:).

#6 ·
Compared to teh average cost of a B turbo manifold, that WAS next to nothing :evil:

I got two welded up (a bit messily though) for £20 by my local car restorers. But I doubt he did a proper job as to weld cast iron you have to do it in a particular way (including something about keeping it in a bucket of sand so it cools very slowly).

99 and 900 manifolds are well known for cracking :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.