SaabCentral Forums banner

TLC for early 'H' engined 8V turbo's

965 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  c900 
#1 ·
Ok now the 89 900i has been picked up to go off for insurance assessment and possibly repairs, I'm working on the 81 non-apc turbo sedan (with a 'H' engine) until I get the new crank pulley for the 9k and get that car on the road again.

I just replaced the old NGK plugs which I discovered were BP5ES (the wrong heat range!). I had some new BP7ES so have used those.

I'm hunting for spare warm up reg's, fuel dist's, etc. which is something I've been doing since I got the car but now it's suddenly become a daily driver the priorities have (for now anyway!) shifted.

The warm up reg is the -070 version from what I can tell (btw it has an extra hose port on the side) - anyone know if another version can be substituted? What function does that extra port play? It connects to a small-bore vacuum feed off the intake manifold.

The fuel distributor is a 6-port -035 version. I have a spare used one over in Sydney saved from the silver 82 turbo I stripped down about 2 years ago but I don't know if it's any good. Would be nice to find a new or reman one.

The fuel injectors I don't yet know much about or what they're Bosch part number is. Is there much variation in the K-jet injectors and can new ones be obtained? I have set of new injector seals here already.

I've located a new ignition coil and have found a place that has a spare (used) ignition control module (it's the reluctor type - not the hall-effect type). I think I also have lead on a new reluctor coil assembly. The current ignition dist could do with a service as the electrical connector on the ignition dist body for the two-wire reluctor coil lead has a crack in the plastic.

THe dist cap and rotor were new a short while ago, and the leads are brand new Bougicord ones.

I'm probably going to do the fuel filter as well since it's been in the car for about 2.5 years now - what's the average lifespan of a Bosch -601 fuel filter? I have some new ones of those already.

Air filter will need cleaning - I don't remember if it's a K&N one or an ITG one but I know it's not a standard one.

At some stage I want to fully evaluate the turbo particularly the wastegate. Should I be able to move the wastegate lever by hand if I disconnect it from the vacuum solenoid? The turbo appears to boost up fine but I'll double check all the pipe connections. I would very much like to get rid of that horrible plastic pipe joining the outlet of the airflow meter snorkel to the turbo's cold-air inlet port. :cool: The snorkel and the plastic pipe do not mate properly even though they're both correct parts.

THe engine oil cooler connections to the oil filter housing are dodgy ones that have been grafted onto the end of existing hoses. I'll need to pull the cooler I think to get it to a place that makes custom automotive hose fittings so I can get the right lengths of hose and connectors combined to make new hoses.

Can't think of anything else right now....

Apart from still wanting to get rid of the auto trans and replace it with a 5-spd manual... Hopefully next year.

Craig.

See less See more
#2 ·
The fuel injectors I don't yet know much about or what they're Bosch part number is. Is there much variation in the K-jet injectors and can new ones be obtained? I have set of new injector seals here already.
Here is a thread about K-jet injectors..
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164995
It is for N/A 8V, don't know is there a difference for turbo (should be the same).

#6 ·
Ok the NGK BP7ES plugs have made quite a bit of difference. The old plugs (BP5ES) were not too badly gunked up but since they were the wrong heat range (and probably didn't like it when the engine is running very hot), the new ones have gone in. I gapped them to the right gap size (0.6 to 0.7 mm).

THe warm-up reg that came out of the 82 turbo 8V car (also non-APC) I pulled apart a bit over a year ago was not a -070 version. I think it was -084 or -085. APT Electronics lists the -070 version in its Bosch parts guide for early 8V turbo C900's.

New WUR's are worth their weight in gold as they're so difficult to find. A bit like new (not reman) fuel distributors.

Craig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.