SaabCentral Forums banner

aero engined sierra rwd

712 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  eirestuart 
#1 ·
hi there, i'm new to here so pardon me if i've posted this topic in the wrong area, has anyone here used an aero engine in a rear wheel drive project, i have a sierra xr4i and i'm trying to get info. on the omega gearbox to use along with an aero/viggen engine, i love saab's and currently have a 9-5 2.0t se, awaiting a new block/crankshaft, also soon will have a 9000 2.ot cde 1992,last of older shape, can't wait!! i've always wondered what an aero would be like rwd style,so i think my sierra would be a suitable candidate. i've read that an opel/vauxhall omega gearbox will bolt up to a 2.3t, but which one/ model? can anyone help? all tips/knoledge appreciated:D

#4 ·
Hiya Stuart, I'm in the middle of the same project in a caterham style car - apparantly any RWD Omega box will fit straight on, obviously the v6 ones will be better equiped to deal with the torque..I have a magazine (PPC) where this has been achieved on one of their projects - Ishall quote you a bit of it:

We had a look around for a clutch that would fit the GM first motion shaft, and a cover plate that would bolt to the Saab flywheel.
The Saab 9000 Aero has a 25mm centre plate and 14 splines, same as our Vaux Omega box (we believe they are all the same bolt pattern, we used one from a 2.0 petrol Omega) but the friction plate was a healthy 20mm bigger. Being a saab clutch the cover plate bolted up to the flywheel no problem. All we had to do was get a spigot bearing made - 15mm id - 21mm od. As it turned out Ford use a roller spigot bearing in that size, job done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.