SaabCentral Forums banner

Timing Marks 99 9-3

17K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
OK so I am in the process of breaking down the head for gasket repair. So I have only the intake manifold and chain removal. I found one timing mark on the crank pulley cover and that was all.
1. Where is the mark on the pulley itself.
2. Where are the timing marks for the cams?

#11 ·
Cam timing

When i replaced the H/G on my car i used the casting marks on the cams and on startup the car was running rough. I turned out that the inlet cam was out by one tooth so i was advised to use the yellow painted links on the camchain (post 4 on my previous post) which is a far more accurate way of setting the cam timing.

Kenny.

#12 ·
Hmmm, so that would be to make sure the yellow links are lined up with sprocket mark? I see on the post where the sprocket mark is dead center the yellow links. By the way do all chains have the yellow links?
Also, I was able to pick up a recently redone loaded head and wanted to if it was alright to turn the individual cams to get to TDC before putting the new head on if not already done?

#13 ·
Yes all OEM chains should have the yellow links, i think there should be three painted links on the chain ,one that should line up with something on the crank sprocket and the other two are for the cam sprockets.

If i remember correctly when the notch on the crankshaft pulley is lined up with the correct point on the casing then the yellow links should be as the picture.

If you are unsure about any part of the proceedure when setting the timing then get a second opinion as you may only get one chance before the pistons come into contact with an open valve - which means $$$ ;oops:

Kenny

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks. That is definitely part of the reason for all the questions. So let me see if I follow:
1. Bring piston to TDC
2. Loosen Sprocket bolts
3. Loosen chain tension
4. Zip tie chain to sprockets and mark positions on chain and sprocket then remove ties and unbolt sprockets???
Fuzzy here because, I do not want the chain to slip.
http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20060704.Saab_B204_B234_Engine_Assembly/?i=20060704d.Gasket.jpg
If you look at pics 31-34 the chain is just hanging. Also when the sprockets are tightened on pics38 the colored marks are not lined up with the mark on the sprocket.

#16 ·
Ok, so I went out and turned the crank. I saw the yellow colored links but they never lined up with the TDC mark. I turned the crank at least 4-5 full rotations and nothing. So here is what I have. Pics of the cams and a dark pic of crank line. Is this TDC. Crank is in the middle if not barely, ever so slightly to the right.

#18 ·
The crank might be a bit off if you have high mileage and didn't replace all the guides, i went crazy thinking I did it wrong but the car runs fine.

#22 ·
True but info that I can use is never old. Want to make sure I have tdc after chain has no more tension. I have the camshaft at the timing mark on the cam caps. I also have the engine tdc. I also used the yellow links with the lines on the cams and dot on the can chain gear. After tub ring engine over by hand 4 times. Tensioner clicks out some and the chain shifts. When back at tdc. The yellow links are 2 teeth part the marks.

#23 ·
Like mentioned, ignore the yellow marks, they just help when you first install the chain (helps to get the number of links between the 2 marks on the cam gears right). Since there are more links on the chain than there are teeth (or 2 x the teeth) on the crank gear there is no way they will ever line up after one full rotation of the engine (2 turns of the crank). In fact unless the number of links on the chain is directly divisible by the number of teeth on the crank gear it could take a huge number of turns until the yellow chain marks lined up again.

#24 ·
Disregard the colored links now... Just go for proper timing..There is more info on this site if you search and also a Google of saab timing will get you the info you need.The colored links are confusing you now.The colored links confused for me for a bit until i did lots of reading and had a good understanding of where things need to be and how they work. If i remember correctly the cam timing marks will be slightly forward(firewall side) from cap marks with a fresh chain and all guides..Dont rush this; this is a critical set up that needs to be correct- Good luck

#29 ·
Thank you kindly. That is what I have also timing back in crank lines with mark on timing cover. Timing marks for cams line up with lines on the can caps. Just looks that #4 exhaust will open when #1 intake opens. But that's the over lap when #4 is on the exhaust stroke. Its confusion at times. Makes sense for the yellow links. Only to help you set time. Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.