SaabCentral Forums banner

'99 or newer used 9-5?

919 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  splinter 
#1 ·
Hi, all. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 1999 9-5. It would be a 4 cyl wagon. I know of the frequent issues of the series (BTW: the engine already encountered the sludge issue and was completely rebuilt.), but my question is "Is there a notable quality difference in 2000 and later models as opposed to the first model year 1999?"

For example, I know with the Volvo S80 (which I also like), posts on Volvo boards generally suggest to avoid the 1999 (also first model year of the S80) if at all possible. Thanks for any help you can give.

#2 ·
Welcome to the best 9-5 forum on the net ;)

The model has been around since 1997/8 and if that 1999 one has been professionally rebuilt it may well be better than a poorly looked after 2000 model ;)

#3 ·
Hi,

Service History, Service History, Service History. As long as the car has that you should be ok.

I have always heard that you never buy the early models becasue of these so called quality issue, but I don't belive that the 9-5 was any bad than any other car.

Puli

#4 ·
97's and 98's suffer a bad reliability reputation due to the fault of the PCV system/sludging issue. Now its a known problem, most vehicles after that point are maintained correctly, i've had no gripes with my MY99 model, i'd suggest if the car you're looking at has had the issues resolved and drives well there's no reason why you should'nt buy. :cool:

#6 ·
Thanx ... and a couple follow ups

Wow, thanks for the quick (and numerous) replies guys. Permit me to give a little background so you know where we are coming from ...

We now own a '96 Lexus ES 300 -- good car, only issue is clunking rear suspension (don't go there), overall small detail. Toyota/Lexus quality is well known and my wife is leary of leaving it for a Saab (esp since it was taken over by GM). However, we need more passenger room and cargo capability - which a 9-5 wagon would provide.

I've been impressed by the Saab sites and long lists of FAQ's for fixes and such and it seems there is more info on fixes and DIY info than many car sites (like the lexus owners one I frequent). Does this mean:
1. There's just more problems to fix ... :cry:
2. The wealth of info (along with an available Haynes manual) is just a bonus for Saab owners :)
3. Saab owners/enthusiasts are generally more mechanically inclined than owners of other models (not me, unless a Haynes "Dummies" manual emerges) ;oops:

Sorry for long post, but I will catch hell from my darling, beautiful wife if I convince her to go Saab and the car develops one prob after another. Don't want to eat crow and trade it in for something boring and very un-Saablike.

#7 ·
The 9-5 like all cars can have niggling faults. It recently was voted the safest car in Sweden, and charts highly in reliability surveys. Don't forget most people only visit here with problems, they don't visit saying how pleased they are with their cars reliability. The info is there because generally speaking, Saab owners take pride in and enjoy knowing about their vehicles mechanicals. Without seeming snobbish we like the "uniqueness" that Saab offers and don't want to be run of the mill Beemer, Lexus, Jag owners who get in, turn the key and drive off without even knowing where the hood release is. We do however realise running these cars can be expensive without some basic knowledge, this is where we come in, we can offer sound advice through our own experience, on fault finding and how to get it repaired without paying through the nose. You say you're mechanically dumb, trust me a few months on here and you will know your ARB's from your MBC's. :cheesy:

#8 ·
Kermits 9-5 said:
You say you're mechanically dumb, trust me a few months on here and you will know your ARB's from your MBC's. :cheesy:
What are they then :roll:

#9 ·
I like "uniqueness"!

That is one thing that drew me to Saab's -- after all, we owned an Aztek for a while (great vehicle, versatility beyond anything, bad marketing). And I try to stress the safety factor to her (my 2 year old son agrees ;)).

I guess she is worried that she never heard much about Saab before (unlike, say Volvo) and it is kind of an "X" factor (thankfully, we do have a dealer in town). For some reason in the Maritimes, Volvos are really popular, but the same can't be said of their Swedish kin ... :cry: I tell her safety/reliability wise, the two are very similar, but Saabs have a sportier look/feel.

Thanks for the info, guys. Wish me luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.