SaabCentral Forums banner

ACC has mind of its own

787 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  justin.graeff 
#1 ·
I am having an issue with my ACC. I don't know if this is related to the 1 08 code, but I can't choose when my blower comes on. When I put the fan speed all the way up, it usually won't turn on at all. However, sometimes when I start the car in the morning on these cold days, after a little while it will come on. So basically I can't choose when the fan comes on. I have checked the codes and I do get the 1 08 code, but I don't know what is the matter under the dash. I haven't taken apart underneath the steering wheel yet. I just don't understand because sometimes it will just randomly come on. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
The fan motor is SO easy to remove and service. The hardest part for me was getting my wiper arms off of the spindles. If you're handy grab some contact cleaner, some lightweight electric motor oil, if you have an air compressor, put it to use with an air gun attachment to blow out all of the electrical brushes dust. If not a big NEW can of compressed air will work okay. Remove the blower, and first blow out all of the areas around the brushes. Do this outside and away from your face. The dust is horrible. Then use your contact cleaner and spray down everything really well. Blow it dry. Use your oil and lubricate the bearing ends. Notice how much easier it spins?! :cheesy:

When those motors get dirty and the bearings get dry, there's more resistance in the motor. The thermo protector trips and prevents the motor from running. Once it cools off the motor works for a short while.

Now if the brushes have worn past their usefulness you can order replacements from eurtonelectric.com. Click Parts, then under Brushes click Auto and Low Voltage. 2nd page of the catalog, bottom right corner is where the replacements are.

Here's a shot of the thermoswitch on the blower. If you have a fine emery board, try cleaning the contacts of that switch and make sure they're firmly closed.

#4 ·
Well I took down the cover from underneath the steering wheel and found this.

I am going to remove the motor and find out how it's looking. I am going to have to call the dealership and see about ordering a new stop arm. Hopefully the shaft isn't broken at all.

#5 ·
Took another picture of underneath there. I am not completely sure what the setup is supposed to look like. I took out the piece that looks like a motor that goes inside that yellow piece. I'm going to call the dealership for the stop arm now.

#6 ·
I got the stop arm replaced. I am happy to report that the shaft wasn't broken but just the stop arm. I called the dealership and they had them in stock for $27. Apparently they feel they can make a killing off these suckers.

I popped the new one on, put everything back together, and ran the test. No more code. However, I still have no fan speed no matter what. So I suppose I need to check out the fan motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.