SaabCentral Forums banner

Kick down Cable?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ProfZ 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what this is? Or how to adjust it? I described a problem that I was having to a technician and he suggested I loosen the Kick Down Cable. I told him my 1988 automatic Turbo 900 was jerking a little bit when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd or vice versa. Any info would be appreciated. :D

#2 ·
The kickdown cable is attached to your throttle quadrant (the part that is pulled on by your accelerator cable to open the throttle). This quadrant is right next to your engine-oil filler cap. The kickdown cable then goes forward and down to your transmission's converter housing.

DO NOT :! :nono; :! loosen this cable, or mess with it in any way. If loosened, it could fall out of its cam inside the transmission. This cable's function is to mechanically downshift your trans when you floor the gas pedal; it has no effect on the rough 2-3 upshift you describe. Adjusting it requires a hydraulic pressure gauge--and someone who knows what they're doing.

If your rough upshift happens when the trans shifts by itself, that's normal--they all do that with age. You'll find that it's worst at small throttle openings, and smooths out with brisk acceleration.

However, if you're having trouble shifting MANUALLY from 2-3 and back, this might be helped by adjusting the SHIFTER CABLE (also called the gear selector cable). Search this forum for "shift cable adjustment" or similar wording, or consult the Bentley manual. This adjustment is made at the base of your shift lever, and requires 2 special tools. Not an expensive job to have a pro do for you, though. BUT first make sure the cable actually is out of adjustment--check with a SAAB pro, or with a good transmission shop that does a lot of import-car work.

#4 ·
Hi ,I adjusted my kickdown cable.Mine shifted to earlyand wouldnt kick down when it should.All it changes is the rpm it shifts at .Not the firmness!profz is rite ,dont try yourself it could cause big trouble if not done by a shop! Pat

#6 ·
Is it true that by disconnecting this cable altogether you can bypass 2nd gear - in the situation that you were to lose 2nd? Then the vehicle would go from 1st to 3rd. I drove like this when 2nd gear went on my 1st saab, between the time it went and the time i replaced the tranny (~4000 miles) and had no difficulties...

#7 ·
When I bought my car it had a rebuilt trans installed at the dealership that shifted at 4500 floored.(too early) I originally adjusted it to shift floored up a hill at 5900 rpm.:wink:I turned it down to 5800. :D I now get passing gear whenever it is required.Sorry I dont look at the tach at slow speeds but I can say if the car shifts to late the cable is to tight,thats another reason I settled for 5800 max rpm for a shift(safer ).As far as shift quality it is very firm at low speeds almost bumpy ,smoother when I step on it!Its real fast now!WARNING:Like profz said ,it is dangerous to play with and if you make it to loose it will fall off, if its to tight it will break the cable inside the trans. :nono; I have changed alot of automatic transmissions and an old bracket drag racer and was willing to do anything to make my saab turbo wind up for passing.I never shift it manualy! And I roll into the throttle ,not smash it and no jerking,I want it to last! :roll: Pat

#8 ·
To answer Turbosaab87's question, disconnecting the kickdown cable will NOT bypass 2nd gear because the 1-2 upshift is controlled by the (rpm-actuated) governor and by hydraulic pressure. The kickdown cable just DOWNshifts at wide-open throttle--it's a mechanical override, with no effect on upshifts.

As I mentioned above, a sloppy or ineffective 1-2 upshift can most often be cured by an adjustment of the front band. The 2-3 upshift, however, is effected by a pair of clutch packs with no provision for adjustment. Hey, it's a 40-plus year-old design :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.