SaabCentral Forums banner

EOL choices: Are part-outs worthwhile on these cars?

803 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cliche` 
#1 ·
So the old girl lost it's 3rd automatic and I'm done. I've been doing nothing but bathing in ATF for 2 years and rebuilding 4hp18q's. A cooler hose leaked, I lost enough fluid (probably overheated) and the transmission stopped shifting from 2->3 then from 1->2 so now I'm back to 1rst and reverse. Again. For the 3rd time in 2 years. Took the valve body off, got all my tools and the basement covered in ATF, jiggered all the shift valves, reinstalled and still no go. So its curtains for the old girl.

Now I've been replacing everything on this car so every last accessory works and (darn it), the body is rust free. Double darn it. And I just installed a new aero black interior complete with black headliner(triple darn it). Engine just got rebuilt (quadruple darn it)!

For those of you who have parted out.....did the parts sell? Is there enough demand to make something like that worthwhile?

How much could I ask for a parts car if I sell it whole (96 cse, 138K, green/black)? Do old 9000 parts cars sell?

I'd hate to just donate it. What does saabcentral recommend?

#4 ·
I heard manual swap were a lot of trouble and require installing a slave cylinder to operate the hydraulic clutch. A few folks have been dissuaded from such activities on this very board.

Plus, around boston, having a manual transmission is a liability when faced with hour long traffic jams (hour long if you're lucky! :lol: ). First....sliiip second...crap we stop..first..sliiiip...stop. first sliiiiip....stop...and on and on and on. Thats not what MT is about. MT is all about slamming between gears and downshifting while doing a country road slalom with the wind blowing through your hair...or something like that. It's less glamorous when your doing stop'n'go.

#6 ·
Well, I am going to send the valve body off to erikksson so they can have a swing at it and I will take it from there. I have my fingers crossed it will fix the problem and restore my faith in the AT.

I am just disappointed at the fragility of these transmissions. I ran the old AOD dry by accident half a dozen times during burn in and it kept right on soldiering without a hiccup. You just look at the 4hp18 wrong and it fails.

#7 ·
As a general rule, cars are worth more as individual parts than as an entire vehicle, running or not.
My advice is to remove every usable part on the car and start eBaying them, or putting up classified ads. It'll take longer, but you'll get a lot more money than you would for the car as a whole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.