SaabCentral Forums banner

dashboard warning light

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Munki 
#1 ·
Does anyone lnow why a warning comes up on my dashboard telling me to check coolant. When I do it is fine. I also have a problem with the heating on the passenger seat, ie it doesnt work. I have a '98 convertable

#2 ·
Hello Dave and welcome to Saabcentral.

The low coolant level could be due to the sensor in the expansion tank failing or a poor connection. The heated seat not working is more complex. The failure could be due to the switch, the thermostat or a break in one of the heating pads. There are two heating pads, one in the seat and one in the backrest, together they make up a circuit. A break in either pad will cause both not to heat. (The thermostat is in the seating pad BTW) In order to narrow down the options try the following procedure.

Underneath the seat you will see a connector that goes to the seat wiring. Unplug it and look at the wiring that is attached to the seat.

There is a yellow wire that passes the current into the seat pad element. The current passes through the thermostat, through the seat pad element and out through a black wire to a plastic female connector. This connector has two black wires attached to it and is connected to the male connector which also has two black wires. The current is then passed through the connector, through the backrest pad element and exits back through the connector's other black wire and completes the circuit.

Unplug this connector and, using a continuity meter, check the continuity on the male plug that feeds the backrest pad (two black wires) then check the continuity on the seat pad - one black wire from the female connector and the yellow wire from the feed.

At least then you will know which, if any, pad has the break in it.

This is easier to do with the seat removed from the car BTW.

Unforunately if one of the pads or the thermostat is shot then you have an expensive repair on your hands. One heating pad reatils for about £100 and the removal of the old pad and fitting of the new one is very tricky.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.