SaabCentral Forums banner

9-3 SC - Coupe???

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Saba 
#1 ·
Anyone know if Saab has a 9-3 Coupe in the works? Most of their competitors have them... Volvo C70, BMW 325/330Ci, Mercedes C230/320 Sport Coupe, Infiniti G35, Acura RSX. I know that if a 9-3 Coupe were available with comparable pricing to the Sedan, I'd have bought the coupe. I love the look of the MB C-Sport Coupe, but they don't lease well at all so I had to pass. The RSX is nice, but was a bit too small. Saab could do what MB does and offer the 9-3 SC with the sport suspension only, but with both engines. And since the Saab sedan is the biggest compared to their sedans, their Coupe would probably be the biggest - a good thing since the back seat can be unhospitable in some of those. They'd save money on replacing faded door handles too!

GM has the platforms available to make Saab Coupes. A 9-2 Coupe could be built off the WRX platform or the Delta platform. Rebadge a Saturn ION Redline or upcoming Chevy Cobalt SS and have a 9-2 Aero Coupe. What about the new rear drive platform that will underpin the new Pontiac Solstice roadster? Supposedly the next Grand Am will share the 9-3 platform and be available as a coupe so why not a Saab? They'd probably sell more coupes than wagons, and the wagon is supposedly the next variant.

#3 ·
Nairda said:
strat81:
Rebadge a Saturn Ion
Ah, I think your running a slight fever :oops:
I agree, a 2-door coupe would be great but coupes
don't sell, 4-door sedans are what sell and the
SaabOpelSaturnChevy 9-3 is a good example.
LOL
Back in 2002, when I read the next Saab was going to be based on a Chevy Malibu platform, I though it was insane too. Obviously, the results have turned out to be quite positive. Stuff enough sound insulation into the doors and bolt the dash down tight enough and it just might work! And I'm sure lots of us laughed when we heard an Impreza was being rebadged. But apparently Saab did a decent job on it.

As for the unpopularity of coupes, perhaps it's a regional thing. I see more Acura RSXs in my city (NYC) than I do G35s, C230K Sport Coupes, and Saabs combined. Seems like Acura can't build them quick enough.

Maybe a 9-3 coupe isn't the way to go, considering the RSX starts under $21,000. Maybe a 9-2 Coupe is the solution. Bend the Impreza into a coupe, use the ION/Cobalt platform, or go rear drive with the new Solstice platform.

#7 ·
Thats an obvious photoshopped pic. I have seen the original. It does however look cool and and can really show the potiential for a 9-3 coupe.

I did however hear from a reliable source at GM. That a 9-6 based on a Holden vehicle is being looked into. Similar to what Pontiac has done with the GTO.

Not sure if they are going to use that same platform and have rear wheel drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.