SaabCentral Forums banner

Need some advice on speakers

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
I'm now well into sorting out the crap sound system that Saab put in these things and have added some rather nice speakers to the back of the car but can't work out what to do with the fronts. I know a few of you on here have got some decent sounds fitted, any advice on what to do to get the front sorted?
I dont know if its worth using the original grills on the top of the dash and if I do then has anyone found a decent enough speaker to fit in there?
Or has anyone fitted any in the doors? If so, then how and what and who?!

#4 ·
If you are feeling a bit more adventurous you can shorten the vinyl of the door pocket and make a pod to fit in the gap created. If you have ever taken your door panel off you would notice there is an indentation perfectly placed to allow a decent sized magnet with this installation. I would sugest visiting the scrappers and picking up another pair of door panels rather than cutting up your original ones. I have done this very effectively with a friends 3dr 900 and will get round to doing it to mine one day! I used a two part component system with this and mounted the tweeters on the front upsweep of the door panel

#5 ·
The secret of good front sound is to get the seperate tweeter in the small blank next to the main 4 inch position - a good component 4inch mid and tweeter will do the job. The 2-way 4 inch units that just replace the standard driver never work very well because the tweeter is hidden away from the line of hearing.

#6 ·
On my '88 Saab I put MB Quarts RSB 214 in the front. They sound amazing, I did pay about $200 for them but were well worth it. But the power range for them was 40-100 watts RMS to power them. They were a component set so I mounted the tweeters on the doors. I drilled holes through the door to run the speaker wire to them. The 4" speakers were deep dish so it was a tight fit, but they fit off the stock grills. I set the cross-overs in the rear behind the rear seat. This took time and effort, but was well worth it. If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me.

#8 ·
I have stock front speakers and some 200W rated sony cabinet speakers from my hi-fi in the back (with an amp which supplies them with enough power to rattle my trunk loose). I have a friend who is willing to lend me some 5.25" alpines for the front which I need to install at some point but daaamn it sounds good.

#9 ·
If you are going to use 2/3way units in the standard position, make sure they are sharp on the treble (JBL, Pioneer) to compensate for them firing against the windscreen. This is the way I have it at the moment & it works very well except at very high volumes where the treble shows up a tad harsh.

#10 ·
P.S. If you go down the 'component' route and aim for the high quality stuff, Infinity offer what they call 'plus 1' which means that the woofer unit is larger than the average 4" speaker, very usefull for providing a decent presentation. Choose a speaker with silk tweeter for smooth treble with medium-high volumes or metal dome tweeter with v high db (MaxPower style!)for long life but a bit harsh for so close to your head.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken on May 9, 2002 9:07am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.