SaabCentral Forums banner

slipping clutch at high speed and soft clutch pedal

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AKskier 
#1 ·
so was driving today on the highway floored it, RPM's shot up car hardly speeds up.....so slipping clutch.....OK

i did it a couple more times to make sure........same thing

then his burning smell appeared, kind of like burning rubber'ish plastic'ish not 100% sure.......question - is that the slipping clutch disk or something else I'm smelling?

pulled over, put it in neutral, put it back in 1,2,3 ....... car goes no slippage at low speeds BUT clutch pedal is much softer now.....it still functions normally it seems but is much, much softer when i press it with my foot.

do i have a.........

1. need for a new clutch disk?
2. need for a new master or slave cylinder?
3. need to bleed the clutch?

i pumped and pumped the clutch pedal but it remained just as soft. however it does return to the proper position.

one thing i do not know/understand about a clutch is this, does master/slave cylinder play any role on how hard the clutch disk is pressed against the flywheel? what do the master/slave cylinder do?

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes the slave is inside the transmission. It is what pushes the clutch apart from the crank shaft as it fills with fluid.
Sounds like you have a clutch job coming up. Remember to PRIME THE NEW SLAVE CYLINDER before you install the new one.
It's possible to bleed it while in the car, but it's a pain in the butt.

#6 ·
You need to invest in a haynes manual, and an engine lift (To support the engine when you remove the subframe and transmission). Also you will want some jack stands obviously. Make sure you put all of the bolts in baggies, and label them when you remove them if you have never undergone an operation like this.
Just follow the instructions in the book and you should be fine. In the mean time while you drive, avoid flooring it. I ran a ford festiva for over half a year with a very worn clutch by just not flooring it, and semi-shifting (without the clutch. You really only need the clutch for first.)
Good luck!

#7 ·
thanks for your advice.

im not going to be doing work on the car though. a mechanic will. i want to learn and understand what the possible issues and fixes are as well as what parts are involved and how they interact. it's much easier to bargain with a mechanic when you know what you are talking about. makes it much harder for a mechanic to say "OH that is a huuuuge job" when/if it's really not.

i normally try to understand as much as possible, then buy the parts myself and hit up mechanic shops with my low ball offer for a cash job. lowest bidder gets the job. if the winning bidder is not super saab savy I tell him what's wrong and how to fix it (in large part THANKS to this forum).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.