SaabCentral Forums banner

Clutch screwed (clutch pedal dropped to floor and stayed there)

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  amagab 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2006 9-3 SC from the local SAAB dealer last week. The owner said they had put in a new clutch. Today, driving home, the frickin' clutch gave in and the pedal stuck to the floor and I couldn't change gears. The car was otherwise running fine.

I had the tow truck tow it to the dealer and am awaiting word from them.

I don't know anything mechanic. What does it mean when the clutch stick to the floor and you can't change gears?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I dont the know the exact answer but to me it sounds like the Clutch spring that pushes the clutch back out might have came lose. Alot of ppl have this happen to them. Everyone that had that problem found the spring on the floor near the pedals. Im sure someone that had that problem will say something to confirm this.

#5 ·
The owner said they had put in a new clutch. Today, driving home, the frickin' clutch gave in and the pedal stuck to the floor and I couldn't change gears.
This happened to me once. The problem was the diaphragm fingers bent and the throwout bearing pushed through. The car was stuck in 3rd gear until I replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. What I found was the previous owner had installed the wrong size throwout bearing (slightly smaller diameter) for the particular model year needed.

I still quite vividly recall my drive home on the Schuylkill Expressway and Lincoln Drive stuck in 3rd gear. I made it without stopping once or stalling. I lived in a gated community and waved frantically at the guard to raise the gate as I came rumbling through, praying no one was between me and the outermost areas of the parking lot, where the car stayed until I changed the clutch.

The take home message is to check your part numbers very carefully when doing this kind of work. And compare the old parts to the new before trusting what it says on the box.

Since the previous owner replaced the clutch, you don't know if he picked up any used parts to save money. This raises possibilities of confusing parts from the older 93 with the new. Some of those parts may "fit" our cars, but not exactly "work."

#6 ·
Sorry to hear that. I was so excited buying this car....being a previous owner of the older 9-3. However, when I got towed, the towing guy said he had heard the SAAB dealership here cuts corners. :-( I still haven't heard from them so I don't know what the problem is or when it will be fixed. I better find myself another mechanic in the meantime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.