SaabCentral Forums banner

Please help me fix the air conditioning in my car

7K views 62 replies 14 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 · (Edited)
1995 9000 CSE 2.0 NA.

Background: when car with previous owner, the compressor seized. PO fitted short belt and ran it like that for at least 1 year, probably longer. Air con thus not used in that time and system was empty of refrigerant.

I fitted a known working second-hand compressor, fitted new long belt, had the system professionally pressure tested (no leaks) and gassed. Worked fine for a few weeks and then over one weekend it stopped working.

• The system has gas, I checked by pressing the Schrader valve on the compressor and gas came out
  • The compressor's clutch is engaging normally
  • The receiver's sight glass is clear with no bubbles
  • When the ACC is set to Auto and 17° the short metal pipe from compressor to condensor is very hot
  • Ambient temperature air comes out of the vents
Important point: the air con ceased to work after the car's battery had been disconnected for one weekend. I was changing the steering wheel and left the SRS system to discharge.

That's as much information as I can give you. I hope it's enough to get some help with this. I really need air con this time of year. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Matthew said:
1995 9000 CSE 2.0 NA.

Background: when car with previous owner, the compressor seized. PO fitted short belt and ran it like that for at least 1 year, probably longer. Air con thus not used in that time.

I fitted a known working second-hand compressor, fitted new long belt, had the system professionally pressure tested (no leaks) and gassed. Worked fine for a few weeks and then over one weekend it stopped working.
  • The system has gas, I checked by pressing the Schrader valve on the compressor and gas came out
  • The compressor's clutch is engaging normally
  • The receiver's sight glass is clear with no bubbles
  • When the ACC is set to Auto and 17° the short metal pipe from compressor to condensor is very hot
  • Ambient temperature air comes out of the vents
Important point: the air con ceased to work after the car's battery had been disconnected for one weekend. I was changing the steering wheel and left the SRS system to discharge.

That's as much information as I can give you. I hope it's enough to get some help with this. I really need air con this time of year. Please help!
Obvious, I know, but you have calibrated the ACC system haven't you?

Auto and <---> until it shows the code.

Kenneth

#3 · (Edited)
Good point... yes I did calibrate the ACC.

Just been out to try the calibration again (several times!). Calibration process executed fully with zero faults. Air con still pumps in ambient air.

Just found this on good old Quasimotorsp for systems where there is no cold air yet the compressor's engaging:
Quasimotors said:
  • temperature mix flap problem
  • Broken temp mix flap arm/disconnected control wire
  • Binding/worn/misaligned temp mix flaps
  • Bad temp mix flap control motor
Thoughts?

#11 ·
microcat36 said:
:lol: :lol: :cheesy: , your cheating, you have more fingers to type with than i have :lol: :cheesy:
Time for voice activated software?

A nieghbour's child with the worst dyslexia I've ever known, he has the software on his PC; he can do some school homework with it.

#15 ·
Matthew said:
Please tell me that was irony ;)
No, that was me being as dense as usually is.

Aircon; [I suppose we must go back to topic :roll: ] I recently lost a refilled system that pressure tested OK. It turned out [using the WIS for the 900 as my diagnostic guide] that my pressure switch appears to have failed :roll: ; so, the aircon company have got to remove the freon they sold me so i can swap the part and then they can sell it back.

#16 ·
I really should have done the job properly and replaced all seals (since the system had not been used for ages), receiver/dryer and the expansion valve. But, I was in a rush to get the thing working for a weekend away.

It does seem though that the system's retained the gas, judging by the Schrader valve poke test. Which was nice.

#17 ·
2 components can fail to cause your symptoms; there's a temp switch in the compressor and the pressure switch, both can be overridden on the new900 for diagnostic purposes, I'm not sure if or how to on the 9000.

#18 ·
Some further information today after removing the aquarium :cheesy: cover.

The flap rod extends and retracts fine, with around 2.5 inches of extension. It's fully out when ACC is set to LO and fully retracted when set to HI. Temperature settings in between move the rod as you'd expect.

One thing i have noticed is that the radiator fan doesn't seem to come on when the air con's switched on. The fan does switch on though for extra radiator cooling when the engine temperature rises. Not for AC though.

The rad fan used to switch on for the AC.

Could there be a connection?

Anyone got 9000-specific pointer on Raggy's suggestion of pressure and temp switches?

The AC system's certainly doing something as the compressor engages and the refrigerant's hot.

#19 · (Edited)
More information:
  • The compressor engages but doesn't cycle
  • Rad fan doesn't cycle when AC is on
  • Short hose from compressor --> condensor is hot
  • Long thick hose from compressor --> bulkhead is at ambient
  • Long thin hose from drier --> bulkhead is cool but not cold
  • Mix flap rod in aquarium works fine
  • Sight glass clear but not coloured green from refrigerant dye
Whilst searching for answers I found this:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=686599&postcount=4

Which, ironically, was an answer in response to a question from me.

I think Mr. Taylor's right - the refrigerant level's low due to a leak, but there's enough for the compressor to activate.

A few questions remain though:
  • Why doesn't the rad fan cycle. Could that be part of the problem?
  • Where do the hoses go after they enter the false bulkhead?
  • I can't see any leaks, where should I go looking first?
  • Is there a way, other than refrigerant recovery, of finding out hw much gas is in the system?

#20 ·
Matthew said:
More information:
A few questions remain though:
  • Why doesn't the rad fan cycle. Could that be part of the problem?
  • Where do the hoses go after they enter the false bulkhead?
  • I can't see any leaks, where should I go looking first?
  • Is there a way, other than refrigerant recovery, of finding out hw much gas is in the system?
My guess is that the rad fan isn't cycling because there's no need, i.e. it's not being activated by high pressure. After the hoses enter the bulkhead,they go to the evapourator.
You probably won't see leaks it's a gas ;) You could get the fluorescent dye added and then you'd see with the aid of a UV light.
Nope to the last point. It needs to be vacuumed and weighed as it is done if you want any idea.

David.

#22 ·
When I was mooting over having my dryer cartridge replaced, the guy offered me the choices:-

1. Attempt to undo the nuts on the aluminium piping, which after such a long time, usually corrode and twist the pipe and wreck it thus leaving another problem to sort out.

2. Leave it alone.

I opted for 2. I suspect that if you do attempt to change the seals you could be at option 1. Of course, if there's a verifiable leak then you don't have much choice but you need to check out the issue with the fan. It should be triggered by switch, can't remember which one but it's on the various ACC diagrams that are on the web.

If memory serves me correctly, it's the high pressure switch that turns on the fan but I could be wrong.

David.

#23 ·
A common failure in 9000 A/C systems is a stuck expansion valve, usually caused by a bad receiver/drier, resulting in a blown compressor.
The fact that your story begins with compressor replacement makes me suspect that. You should be able to put guages on it and diagnose it fairly quickly, bypassing safety switches as required.

Historical note:
The 9000 was introduced in the US in 1986. SAAB sent many of us to New Product school to familiarize ourselves with the new car. It was in that school that I first heard the space behind the false bulkhead referred to as "the aquarium". The term was commonly used at the factory, we were told.

#26 · (Edited)
I just got my 92 9000 non turbo 5 speed with 120K miles and ac died on me today in 100+ weather. Previous owner changed almost everything , except for ac. The Non-Turbo evaporator to compressor to condenser hose clearly broken.It hapenned while I was working on valve cover gasket. I guess I moved it and it was enough to crack it.
Anyone can suggest reliable shop in Walnut Creek/Concord area? I am not mechanically chalenged, but AC was never my thing.
I got this car as a supplement to many motorcycles I own. I can actually enjoy driving it. Also my mountain bike fits in there perfectly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.