SaabCentral Forums banner

Disabling the Shift Up Light?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  SahhhB 
#1 ·
Is there a fuse to pull to kill that stupid light?
Do I have to pull the cluster to get rid of it?

#3 ·
So it is possible?! Good to know.
But Chapel why would you want to?;) If it wasn't for that i probably would have blown my engine by now even though it gives you plenty of warning when it starts at 1,900 rpm.:roll: On second thought the more you stay at full throttle the less likely you are to see it.
Seriously i may have to get it done, though i have become used to it.

#4 ·
AeroNate said:
So it is possible?! Good to know.
But Chapel why would you want to?;) If it wasn't for that i probably would have blown my engine by now even though it gives you plenty of warning when it starts at 1,900 rpm.:roll: On second thought the more you stay at full throttle the less likely you are to see it.
Seriously i may have to get it done, though i have become used to it.
It just bugs the piss out of me when I'm not even at 2000rpm in 4th gear and it wants me to shift into fifth
maybe if it were a SMART light and didn't come on when the resulting shift would cause a stall...
Has anyone ever pulled their cluster to just remove the stupid bulb?

#5 ·
Am I correct in thinking that this feature is only on the US cars :confused:

#6 ·
I correct in thinking that this feature is only on the US cars
Yep, unfortunately so.

anyone ever pulled their cluster to just remove the stupid bulb?
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to pull out the bulb. Doing that would end the circuit and when the circuit is controlled directly by the computer, you could be affecting other integrated systems.

The fuses are one thing but when you're playing with something that's tied in with the Trionic system, who knows what could happen.

Joe

#7 ·
So why do they think that you guys need a light to tell you when to change gear then, are their few stick shift cars in the US? :confused:

#9 ·
I've heard they drive on the wrong side too :eek:

#11 ·
Shhhhhhhh they'll hear you :eek:

My brother in law (UK chappie) drove through the US and stopped late at night at a toll booth. Leaning all the way accross the passenger seat he asked why they put the booth over there! :roll:

The lady suggested he turned the car round without delay :cheesy:

#13 ·
Yeah US drivers are plagued with this terrible shift light....personally, if you know how to drive a stick the light will bug the hell out of you because it always appears at the absolute worst shift moments......stupid US with its Autoboxes.....I can't stand them!

#14 ·
Maverickvii said:
Yep, unfortunately so.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to pull out the bulb. Doing that would end the circuit and when the circuit is controlled directly by the computer, you could be affecting other integrated systems.

The fuses are one thing but when you're playing with something that's tied in with the Trionic system, who knows what could happen.

Joe
You'd think pulling the bulb would be better than pulling the fuse...
I've pulled dummy light bulbs in my BMW (faulty brake sensor light, faulty Check Engine light).

I just... want... to make the light STOP

I'm half tempted to slap some electrical tape over it.

Anyone know how much the saab dealer would charge to turn that silly light off?

#17 ·
SahhhB said:
You can get a Nordic ECU upgrade and it will disable the light! Kill two birds with one stone!
Now you are talking!

"Wife (substitute title of your choice), can I have a Nordic 300 bhp ECU please cos I hate that red light!"

" Yes honey!"

Sorted :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.