SaabCentral Forums banner

Modification on the 900 t

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Saab-Daniel 
#1 ·
When modifying the APC to boost into the red is it also wise to change the timing ?
So far I have a modified APC and a 3.0 FPR...

#2 ·
hey
I have a 3.0fpr in my glove box, I was going to install it before I upgraded my injectors but I wasn’t sure if that was a smart move.
I'm assuming you have stock injectors, what differences would you say there are, positive or negative to having a 3fpr with stock injectors?
I wish I could point you to a new upgrade but I'm right about where you are.;)

#3 ·
Well, the more you retard timing, the less knock you should get at full boost, But, at a cirtain point, you will get lots of boost but not much power because the spark is lit too late and the combustion occurs too late as the piston is well on it's way down the bore.

So, I found that 15 BTDC at idle (near stock) and 7 or 8 BTDC at max boost is ideal for lots of power and higher than stock boosting. I get about 15psi without too much knock with slight apc adjustments. (about 1/4-1/3 into the red) The vacuum capsule on the distributor must be slightly modified to allow such a difference between the timing at idle and at full boost. Remove it, and make the arm able to travel downwards about 1mm farther. (just bend the metal peg stopper with a big screwdriver) That should allow the unit to change the timing 7-9 degrees on full pressure as opposed to the 4-5 degrees the unit provides without the modification.

Happy SAAbing!

-Rob

#5 ·
evanXspg said:
hey
I have a 3.0fpr in my glove box, I was going to install it before I upgraded my injectors but I wasn’t sure if that was a smart move.
I'm assuming you have stock injectors, what differences would you say there are, positive or negative to having a 3fpr with stock injectors?
I wish I could point you to a new upgrade but I'm right about where you are.;)
The car burns a bit rich, I can see soot in the exhaust where before there wasn't any. Other than that I have not noticed anything. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. I was told I had enough injector (stock) to run into the red with just the 3.0 fpr.

#6 ·
mr rx-7 tt said:
The car burns a bit rich, I can see soot in the exhaust where before there wasn't any. Other than that I have not noticed anything. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. I was told I had enough injector (stock) to run into the red with just the 3.0 fpr.
Yes, this should be fine. My stock FPR died last October and I had a spare 3.0 bar laying around so I just instaled it. It works great. No problems and smoother running. I think I've heard using a 2.8 bar is better for performance and efficiency.
-Dirk

#9 ·
Well, if he has turned up the boost on the wastegate alone, the APC can't cut back on boost even if there is knock!!! You will feel the fuel cut-off though if you meet that...
Tweek your boost via the APC, not the actuator, that is the safest way...
Daniel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.