SaabCentral Forums banner

Brake bleeding psi?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  helmetvonthrob 
#1 ·
Going to bleed my brakes......getting the Motive Black Label bleeder.What psi should I be at when priming the bleeder? I don't want to crack the master cylinder w/too much pressure. Is 10-15 psi decent? I've read around people setting it at 20. Getting the ATE Super Blue fluid so I can see the change to new better.
Looks like an easy DIY. Have the proper wheel to wheel configuation down, and never let the MC run dry. Any other tips welcome.

#7 ·
Right foot pedal pressure is all you need. Open the bleeder screw, pump, last pump hold pedal down with broom or shovel, tighten bleeder screw, and your done. Pump 25 times for the rear 15 times for the front.
I'm sure that method works.........I know from the old school days. The only problem is you have to constantly look to see if your running your MC dry.

#3 ·
The instructions that came with my Power Bleeder state to use 10psi. I didn't find these instructions until after I bled my brakes, where in I used mid-scale on the pressure gage or 15 psi. No subsequent brake problems having used 15 psi.

Other tip: Buy the swivel hose adapter for the Power Bleeder. The standard hose without a built-in swivel is a real PITA to connect and disconnect. Maybe your "Black Label" version comes equipped with the swivel.

#6 ·
The instructions that came with my Power Bleeder state to use 10psi. I didn't find these instructions until after I bled my brakes, where in I used mid-scale on the pressure gage or 15 psi. No subsequent brake problems having used 15 psi.

Other tip: Buy the swivel hose adapter for the Power Bleeder. The standard hose without a built-in swivel is a real PITA to connect and disconnect. Maybe your "Black Label" version comes equipped with the swivel.
I think it comes w/it, but I'll make sure when I get it.

#5 ·
crack the master cylinder??

the brake system runs on a couple thousand psi with the power booster being used.
I just read that somewhere online as I was researching how to do this w/the power bleeder.......not too pressurize it too much.

#8 ·
Another thought and it did happen to me. If you use the pump to the floor method you run the real risk of damaging the master cylinder. The reason being is that the plunger with the rubber seal is now going into and area of the cylinder it never get to and there may be some rust/corrosion there and it could ruin the seal.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.