SaabCentral Forums banner

HID Kits

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  mgmt585 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero with no Xenons :(

Looking to get a HID kit and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for me. Was thinking about a $260 Philips kit, but do you think I should spend that much money on it, or should I get a cheaper one?

Also, I would like to know how easy is it to install an HID kit. Any tips or useful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I just fitted a set of these:

WOW :eek:

Took, maybe 15-20 minutes to fit, and the ballasts sit perfectly against the inner wing under the hood ;)

Mine are:

• 35W Xenon Gas Filled HID bulbs
  • 6000K color Temp.
  • 3500+ Hour Bulb life
  • Digital Ballasts
  • CE, ISO:2001 approved.

My son has the 55W version :roll:

#5 ·
#6 ·
Wiring is simple just need to cut a hole in the cover.....

Balasts sit neatly on the inner wing:

#9 ·
Ah high beams.........

Well you still need the halogens as the HID's wont give you that quick flash, they have to warm up.

I currently have normal high beam bulbs and when they are on with the HID's they are yellowish :x

My son has put a set of bright white 55w halogens in his and they are the correct colour and work quickly, however they are not UK legal and are a higher wattage than the factory suggest...........

I havent seen a very white halogen replacement bulb yet for my high beam.....

Anyone else sorted this dilemma?

#12 ·
The 50w HID is 40% brighter than the 35w HID apparently.

We are talking about aftermarket kits here not the factory stuff!

#13 ·
nice to see you over to the dark side chris :p :D....
i've just bought 50w 4300ks for high beams, do it, you'll do it eventually.....
it actually works perfectly, hids have a bright flash for about half a second when theyre originally switch on before warming up. that means
1. theyre bright to flash people, as thats only ever a quick flash
2. if your on a semi busy road, they take around 20s to warm up, meaning if theyre just on for say ten s they don't fully warm up, meaning you don't dazzle others any worse than halogens but...
3. for empty country roads theyre truly ridiculously bright!....(devil smile) its amaaaazing!
4. your colours match, at last
5. the highs don't flicker when you switch them off

you need to remember if you get HID lows to do the 87A fuse mode, only if you have euro lights enable ie you CAN turn your lights off, no DRLs.

Tom

#17 ·
I ordered a cheapy $60 kit from an eBay seller by the name of "supervtec" for my 2004 Aero, just to play around with them. Turns out they work pretty well! I've had them for about a year without issues.

I had an issue with the bulb-check system freaking out and needed to do a little mod. Follow this thread for that:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163038

As for high beams... DON'T put HID's in there. You need traditional halogen bulbs. HID's take too long to warm up. I know I just yelled at you in the other thread for using the wrong wattage bulbs, but I'm actually using Osram 65w superclear something or others in my high beams. I don't think the extra 10w is anything to worry about, and the high beams are rarely on for extended periods of time. They work AMAZINGLY!

You may want to check out "H7R" bulbs. They have a painted pattern on them to reduce glare and focus the beams more like the projector-style lenses.

#19 ·
Yep they actually run cooler ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.