SaabCentral Forums banner

Intermittent starting problems- Saab 93 SE Turbo Conv (1999)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flyhop 
#1 ·
Hi all,
In the last 3 weeks or so, I've had an intermittent issue when starting my car in the mornings where it seems as if only 3 of the 4 cylinders are firing. This has occurred 3 or 4 times in the last 3 weeks or so (in which time we've had lots of rain down here in 'sunny' Bournemouth!)
After 20 or so seconds of idling, all 4 cylinders fire as normal and there's no different driving experience with the engine.
I don't get any warnings on the SID display before or after I turn the ignition on but I'm curious as to what you guys think this could be.
I changed the spark plugs around 4 months ago (used the correctly designated NGK units) so I wouldn't have thought that would be the issue.

I have read a post on another forum http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27478&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 in which a member had 'rough running followed by non starting of the engine" and his situation was fixed by a new DI cartridge and new plugs. Now...I'm hoping it's not my DI cartrdige on the way out as the Red one in my engine is around £200 to buy now!
Do DI cartridges go slowly or just completely fail?
Could my issue be caused by aomething else? (I've checked all the electrical connections and they all seem good, clean and dry).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)
Many thanks,
Neil.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shop around for your replacement parts,eBay, however risky at times,is competitive.
900S ?
This "S" set me off in the path of old fashioned wires,rotors, and caps..
So the oil must "settle" in a newly installed DIC ? ....Haynes ?
I have read a post on another forum http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewto...t&sd=a&start=15 in which a member had 'rough running followed by non starting of the engine" and his situation was fixed by a new DI cartridge and new plugs

I'd test the ignition cables and examine the cap and rotor.
miles ?
Also check out the CPS and the fuel pump..
The DIC at times will fail quickly...

#3 ·
Hi Earthworm,

I'm confused why you're mentioning '900S ?'? My car is Saab 93, 1999 2.0 SE Turbo convertible with 75k on the clock.
You have also said:
earthworm said:
This "S" set me off in the path of old fashioned wires,rotors, and caps.. So the oil must "settle" in a newly installed DIC ?...Haynes ? /QUOTE]

Can you tell me what you mean by this as I can't make any sense of this or see it's relevance in reponse to my query :confused:

You also mention a 'CPS' can you explain what this is please?
Cheers,
Neil.

#4 ·
topgeeza said:
Hi Earthworm,

I'm confused why you're mentioning '900S ?'? My car is Saab 93, 1999 2.0 SE Turbo convertible with 75k on the clock. The avatar : Car: Saab 900S, 3 door, 1997
You have also said:
earthworm said:
This "S" set me off in the path of old fashioned wires,rotors, and caps.. The '94 to '98 900S still used the separate coil and distributer... So the oil must "settle" in a newly installed DIC ?...Haynes ? (from reading a section in your link - probably pertains to a Saab 9-5... /QUOTE]

Can you tell me what you mean by this as I can't make any sense of this or see it's relevance in response to my query :confused:

You also mention a 'CPS' can you explain what this is please?
Cheers,
Neil.
When a signal generator such as a crankshaft position sensor(CPS) begins to fail, the fuel pump and ignition will follow suit.
When in doubt, and with a high mileage car, I'd renew this device and whatever else fails testing..

#5 ·
earthworm said:
topgeeza said:
When a signal generator such as a crankshaft position sensor(CPS) begins to fail, the fuel pump and ignition will follow suit.
When in doubt, and with a high mileage car, I'd renew this device and whatever else fails testing..
Hi fella,
thanks for your reply. When you say that when a CPS sensor starts to fail, the fuel pump and ignition will follow suit, do you mean that the failure of the CPS sensor makes the fuel pump and ignition fail too, or just that the failure of the CPS impacts the fuel pump and ignition?
Do you know the saab part number for this CPS sensor? is it expensive?

Cheers,
Neil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.