SaabCentral Forums banner

Has anyone done vented seat upgrade?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  j006 
#1 ·
I tried to search the forum, but I can only find stuff about the heated seats. Has anyone done a vented seat upgrade in a nine-five? I am in FL, and I think this would be the greatest mod I could ever do. I have always complained (or heard passengers complain) about their sweating backs on leather seats.

#2 ·
I've been thinking about doing it, but cost is a big restriction for me. It's completely doable though, you just gotta get the seats and the switches. If I remember correctly, the wiring is all there.

#3 ·
The wiring is not always there.... and i'm not sure how to tell by model/year as to whether you'd have it.

I think someone has installed seats that don't actually work because no wiring....

It's going to be expensive either way

My aero has them and they don't really flow that much air, its not that cool and they are completely useless if u have the windows/sunroof open. Oh and they are mega noisy as well :/

#5 · (Edited)
I've done it. Griffin vented heated memory seats into a bog standard lpt that originally had manual adjustment and no heating or vents.

Creating some looms for the ventilation is pretty easy. The wiring was already there for the heat - just needed switches.

The hardest part I found was running suitable power for the electric seats (had to rip out half the interior and tap into the correct feed at the base of the A pillar).

One tip if you try it - get hold of both halves of the main 29-pin multiplug connector from the donor car. You can then carefully break apart the donor's multiplug (the half attached to the car - not the half attached to the seat) to extract the spade connectors (you can't just pull them out as they have a barbed tab). They can then be pushed into the appropriate hole in your car and spliced into your new loom.

Ade

Edit: Forgot to say, when you buy switches for the vents, don't forget to get the multiplug that they plug into from the donor, too.

#6 ·
I have ventilated front seats in my 9-5 SC Aero, they are useless!!!

I wish I could replace the ventilated leather seats with cloth!! I find leather cold in winter, until the heating takes effect, and hot and sticky in summer. In addition at 3 years old and with 70TKm the drivers seat is beginning to look a bit ratty!

G
#7 ·
I absolutely love the vented seats in my 9-5. I used to have a 9-3 with regular leather seats and always got a hot and sticky back in those. It really was very uncomfortable because of that. Mine flow a good amount of air when on the highest setting and give a nice cooling effect within a minute or so. I agree they can be a bit noisy but it is one of the best features of the car.

#8 ·
Gotta go with Wulf on this one.

I love em (even with the noise)

I drive close to 2 hours a day and I can definitely tell the difference when i arrive after an hour and had forgotten to turn them on...I am sweaty and hot in back (I know sounds like a personal problem).

When I have them on, I can not really feel the effect unless I start to get warm then I can feel the cooling. I cannot really tell the difference as much if I have the windows open, but it does make a small difference.

Now If I can just get the passengers seat ejection system working...that would be cool.

#11 ·
I know how to solve the noise problem.crank up the radio;). I want those vented seats becuase I live and florida and the jerk who originally bought the car didn't get them. I do have the heated seats though but like I said I live in Florida I really have no use for heated seats. I too have the sweaty back problem sometimes lol

#12 ·
Well it's a matter of taste but to be honest I do not find that they cool noticeably and as I said I don't really like leather anyway but it is very difficult to a vehicle without it these days.

One things I have always loved since my first 99 are heated seats, regardless of cloth or leather, I was very disappionted when I bought my 9000 and it did not have them. It was my 3rd. Saab and I never realised that Saab had stopped fitting them as standard. My 9-5 has heated front and rear seats. OK here in Germany we have fairly cold winters and quite hot summers.

As I always buy cars that are 2-3 years old I always draw up a list of must haves and then look for a vehicle that comes closest to my ideal spec.

G
#13 ·
On a side note, those vented seats were a $995 option on my 2001 so it wasn't inexpensive. Mine was a Florida car and also has the heated seats for $595. They are the most expensive but the best seats I ever had in a car. :)

#14 ·
I have ventilated seats ,and have to say how good they are especially when the air-con starts to bring the temperature down,they are only intrusively noisy when on full blast,after a couple of minutes I normally turn them down and the noise becomes a lot more acceptable.Also very handy when she doesn't want the air-con on at all,because they cool you down without causing a draft around the whole car.

#15 ·
shanebarber said:
I tried to search the forum, but I can only find stuff about the heated seats. Has anyone done a vented seat upgrade in a nine-five? I am in FL, and I think this would be the greatest mod I could ever do. I have always complained (or heard passengers complain) about their sweating backs on leather seats.
Careful, you get vented seats you'll always want them :)

#16 ·
erh7771 said:
Careful, you get vented seats you'll always want them :)
I had a 2001 Aero black/tan MT (RIP :cry:) with ventilated seats. I have essentially the same car now (2003) except I don't have the ventilated seats. Sure, I have upgraded hubs, HID's, dimming side mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, and park assist now, but I miss the ventilated seats every single day. I call once a week to see if any salvage (breakers :cheesy:) get any tan ventilated sport seats in; I've been calling for over a year now. If anyone knows any good sources for these in the States besides goldwing please let me know.

I feel your pain shanebarber. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.