SaabCentral Forums banner

Shark Fin Antenna (onstar vs.dummy)

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Heatinspector 
#1 ·
I need to replace my cracked sharkfin OnStar/Phone antenna and am planning on using the OEM dummy replacement. Everywhere I see the Dummy sold, it is sold with a corresponding nut that runs an additional $6-$10. Is this a different nut than would come off of my existing antenna, or can I use the one already in my car?

Also, any hints/tips for the replacement process?

#3 ·
I just replaced my antenna with the GM dummy version, purchased at eEuroparts. I used the existing nut that was on the antenna on my '03. It's 22mm. I got real adventurous with my dummy antenna and installed a Navigation and XM satellite module inside the antenna, then ran the wires under the headliner to the dash. I'm installing a Pioneer Avic F700BT and wanted to take advantage of the antenna. There is a must less expensive version of this antenna available on EBAY / Great Britain if all you want to do is plug the hole.

#10 ·
Don't know what an "ASIC 310" is, do you have a link?

1. Do I have to take the roof lining down to replace the fin?

You just need to loosen up the back 1/2 of the headliner to gain access to the antenna, you have to remove the trim near the back liftgate, the two clips in the back center and the two clips on the upper sides, it's really pretty easy.

2. Think I can rewire the GPS dash mount device to inside the new fin or do you think I can modify the existing?

You could probably put many different types of antenna modules inside the GM Dummy shark antenna and run the wire from the back to the front. It's a lot of trouble to go to if you don't have to. Without knowing how your device will mount to the dash, it's hard to suggest something. "Wulf" has a lot on interesting install info regarding his AVIC-F700BT at saabworld (dot com). Post some more info about your setup.

#11 ·
Pioneer AVIC 310

Sorry I think I put ASIC it is I guess the cheaper version of the 700 but does come with a detachable front face. It fits very well into the existing space of the radio.
This Pioneer unit has to be just about the worst buy I have made it frequently has me in the wrong place and I have to reboot it to get it to pick up my location. I use a USB for my music and it is nearly impossible with multiple albums to get to the one I want to hear and play I frequently just burn a cd it is so easier.
Best buy installed the whole unit for around $200 but that was also to install and buy the steering wheel control unit and buy the new dual housing that best buy do not have. They also will reinstall the original unit for free if I ever sell the car. I have NO intention of ever selling it except if I could afford a new one.. (break to whistling dixie..../)

I can post pictures of the install if you would like to see it?

Thank you for your super fast reply!

#12 ·
Sorry I think I put ASIC it is I guess the cheaper version of the 700 but does come with a detachable front face. It fits very well into the existing space of the radio.
This Pioneer unit has to be just about the worst buy I have made it frequently has me in the wrong place and I have to reboot it to get it to pick up my location. I use a USB for my music and it is nearly impossible with multiple albums to get to the one I want to hear and play I frequently just burn a cd it is so easier.
Best buy installed the whole unit for around $200 but that was also to install and buy the steering wheel control unit and buy the new dual housing that best buy do not have. They also will reinstall the original unit for free if I ever sell the car. I have NO intention of ever selling it except if I could afford a new one.. (break to whistling dixie..../)

I can post pictures of the install if you would like to see it?

Thank you for your super fast reply!
OK, it's all starting to make sense, you own an AVIC-F310BT which was installed, (In Dash) in your Saab by Best Buy. You want to make sure you have the latest software updates and the latest map updates, I go here to get up on what's going on with the AVIC: http://avic411.com/index.php?showforum=25
You should forget about that USB stick and get an iPod, I'll bet it would function better for you and probably faster.
Considering that Best Buy has done all of the difficult install stuff, modifying the antenna and running the wires would be the easy part for you. Hopefully, you have a heated garage, because it's going to take some time and Canada is probably getting cold. If you want to rig the antenna like I've done, you'll need to free up the headliner, (on the passenger side) from back to front. That means you're going to be pulling off a lot pillar trim pieces and most of the trim ring around the sunroof, (as a warning, getting that trim piece around the sunroof back on is not fun). You tape the wire to the inside of the headliner using Felt Tape from back to front, then run the antenna wire down the inside of the passenger "A" pillar trim. Another option might be to modify the antenna, then hand it Best Buy and have them do it, maybe they would give you a good deal.

We love to see photos if you have them. If you want to do this project, let me know and will post more photos.

#13 ·
Pioneer AVIC 310

Thank you sir a great pile of information that I will use and tomorrow I will post the inside picture. BTW my smartphone would do the same if I could get it to send the data via bluetooth to the radio I dont know if that is possible or not, or I just put a couple of files on the stick.
I also arranged for GEEL Squad to come to the Toronto area group meeting in February this year. I have to tell you that everyone present was blown away by their expertise and knowledge they are very happy to come out to meetings and do a presentation. I had already had my work done I was impressed by their knowledge and is why I had them come to our monthly meeting. I did not look to see where you are but did I see Chicago? They would willingly show up to an organization. ScottSaab can concur!
Heatinspector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.