SaabCentral Forums banner

9-3 SportCombi vs. 9-5 Aero SportCombi

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  JZeke 
#1 ·
Given the opportunity to acquire either a 2007 9-3 Aero SportCombi or a 2007 9-5 Aero SportCombi (Both manual shift), what would you choose and why?

#2 ·
I had the same choice (both AT's). The 9-5 is larger, but feels much more dated when you drive it. The fit and finish of the 9-3 seemed better to me, as did the total driving experience. The 9-3 handles better, brakes better, and accelerates better. If you can give up some interior room, the 9-3 makes for a better drivers car (IMO).

#4 · (Edited)
Absolutely right.

Just went through this myself. Wife's 5th Saab will be a 2007 9-3 sport-combi Anniversary Edition to replace her 1999 9-5 wagon (both AT's for her). The 9-3 is way more fun to drive, with a peppier feeling engine and sharper handling. Most of what you lose in interior space is a couple of inches of floor in the cargo area. She went shopping expecting to buy another 9-5 wagon, I convinced her to try the 9-3 and she surprised herself. We'll add a hitch for a bike rack and have a nice Thule box for extra space for family trips. We have a 10 y.o. and a 4 y.o. This will be the 8th Saab between us, I drive a modded '97 900 convertible.

Her 9-3 will quickly get a JZW Stage 1, as she fell in love with a 9-3 Aero, but is too frugal to buy one. With the v6 9-3, you might want to run the rear tires ~+2 psi vs the fronts. The heavier engine produces a tad more understeer, which you can tune away with tire pressures. I'll be looking for a 6cyl Aero convertible for myself next year. The AT is so nicely matched to the car I'm toying with the idea of giving up the manual.

#8 ·
When it comes to leather at least, the 9-5 has the 9-3 destroyed unless you can find the expensive are rare upgrade leather seat package. I sat in a regular 2009 9-5 a few weeks ago and was (pleasantly) overwhelmed by the scent of real, grainy, soft leather. I know its not much of a reason to get a car alone, but those 9-5 seats really feel a world removed from the 9-3s.

I'd still probably take the 9-3 combi, even though I don't really care for the suspension and the GM dash tends to creak. Oh wait, I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.