SaabCentral Forums banner

Surging RPMs during acceleration

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  adomarc 
#1 ·
Lately I've noticed my car's (6-speed manual 2007 Saab 2.0T) RPM's surging when I accelerate on a cold engine. The RPM's will usually rise abnormally while I'm holding down the acceleration pedal. I've changed my spark plugs and cleaned my mass air flow sensor thinking it might be engine stumbling. The problem is still there.

I changed the transmission less than a year ago and my clutch was fine. I don't think I could have fried my clutch.. I can still stall out the car if I leave it in gear and dump the clutch so I don't think my clutch is the issue. Could it be that my brake/clutch fluid needs to be changed? I have trouble shifting into 2nd on a cold engine.

Any other ideas?

#10 ·
The reason why I didn't think it was my clutch is:
1. If I put my car in 2nd gear and let off the clutch at a stop it will still stall out.
2. I had transmission replaced less than a year ago and my clutch was fine. I'm not THAT bad of a driver ;)
3. The temperature seems to have an effect on the RPM surge. It's not as bad after the car has warmed up.

Then again I could be wrong... :\

#12 · (Edited)
One other possible idea........ Does anyone know what kind of clutch we have in these cars? Cable? Hydraulic?

I suppose if there's something going on with the system that activates the clutch, that you could be seeing slippage from the clutch, even though it's NOT badly worn??? Could be a stretched cable or low fluid in the clutch activation system?

Actually, upon further thought...... these issues would more likely cause the exact opposite problem. It'd be harder to change gears or get it into gear at all, they wouldn't cause slipping. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.