SaabCentral Forums banner

Ignition cylinder stuck in lock position.

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Anigreg 
#1 ·
First time posting, but I've used this site before when I've had car trouble. I parked in my friend's parent's driveway, pulled out the key, and the cylinder didn't pop up and the power didn't turn off. The cylinder is stuck in lock position now. I've found a thread with the instructions for removal of the center console, ignition cylinder included, but it's for a manual transmission. I can link it if necessary. I intend to remove the ignition entirely and get another one from a junkyard. If I'm in the wrong forum I apologize in advance, but is there anyone that can perhaps help me out? I've already removed the center console casing, I've left the housing bolted down for now, and just am not sure how to proceed with an automatic transmission.

#2 ·
I sorta did this yesterday. The automatics are much easier than the manuals. You can turn over the shifter and see what you are doing.

After you take out the 10mm bolts flip the shifter and you'll see where the harness connects to the key cylinder assembly. Slowly pry the harness off with a screwdriver.

Now the rest is hazy because I was only replacing the electrical portion.

I believe there are two screws holding the key cylinder assembly to the shifter housing. It should then slide out.

Once you get it out there is a button/keyway that you need to push in while also pulling the key cylinder out with the key in it. The button is about 1/8"x1/2". I used a screwdriver and the cylinder will slide right out. You can see where the button would stick out in the picture.

The electrical portion is hold on by two small torx screws. Save it if you end up getting a cylinder and it has one attached. They commonly go bad.

I actually have a key, cylinder and trunk lock cylinder from a 1995 available. Not sure how it works with a 9-3 and the security system. http://www.saabparts-1995.ahouseholdname.net/

#3 · (Edited)
Before you pull anything else apart, get a can of WD-40. put a towel around the ignition area and spray heavily into the key slot as well as around the area where it pops up. Put the key in and out. Spray some more. Do it again. Work the key left right a bit.

I'll give you significant odds that you can get it working again. No guarantee, but many of us have.

#4 ·
I agree with BobSaabit on this one, I have had the key get fully stuck in the cylinder on my old car. A good amount of lubrication and wiggling got it to release and for the cylinder to pop out of the lock position. You can't do much from underneath anyway aside from replace the ignition switch and cylinder assembly. To get the ignition cylinder out you need to have the key in the ACC position and insert a small screwdriver through a hole in the shifter casting. It is actually quit a pain in the butt until you finally figure out where the sweet spot is with the screwdriver to release the cylinder.

#5 ·
It was my intention to replace the ignition switch and cylinder. It doesn't move at all, and I've been putting excessive amounts of lubricant in there since it got stuck. I came to this as a last resort. I'm working on the car tomorrow, and I'll let you all know how it goes.

#6 ·
I've undone the bolts and flipped the housing over, I pried the electrical plug thing off, but the button that I'm familiar with to pop the cylinder out only pops up when the key is in off position, which I can't do. Is there a different button being referred to here?

#7 ·
location location location

As far as I know all that holds the cylinder in there is the button. The picture shows where the button will be.

I've never had luck with the small hole in the shifter assembly which is why I take it out.

#8 · (Edited)
Ah ok, yeah, this is the button I'm aware of. My ignition cylinder has this black plastic ring at the top that keeps the cylinder from falling into the assembly when the screws are undone I guess. I initially didn't want to break the plastic, but should I? It may be the only way to get it out.

Edit: Took the ring off, moved the cylinder out of the housing, and I can clearly see the button, however, it looks like its already depressed and I can't remove the cylinder. I'll try to get a picture on my next post.

#9 · (Edited)
Here we go, the picture actually went up. I was able to get the barrel out of the housing, but the cylinder is stuck, and the button looks depressed because it's in lock position and my key won't turn at all when I try to use it. I'm considering drilling the cylinder to just get it out so I can replace it with one I pick up at a junkyard.

Edit: Don't worry, I wouldn't drill it personally, I have friends that would be able to handle that, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.