SaabCentral Forums banner

Speaker upgrade from 4 speaker system

8K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Jimbo75 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 9-3 Aero SS 2003 model and looking to upgrade the poor sound.

I have the 7 speaker system and looking at 2 options:

a) Either straight to the 6x9’s off a new amp.

b) Upgrade left / right dash speakers and change the front door speakers.

Which out of the 2 would give me the most improvement?

Bass wanted, but not too overpowering.

Also, require some help on tapping into the wiring of my front door speakers to connect to the new amp if I went the 6x9 route.

What is this LOC I keep hearing on the site?

Also, is it me or once you lift the back grill on the shelve to the 6x9’s the pre-cut out is only half on show and rest covered over by shelve? Will this not muffle the sound once 6x9’s fitted?

Sorry if some questions seem v.basic to others. L

Cheers
Andrew

See less See more
#4 ·
In which case, the best upgrade options are :
1. Replace the 3.5" left/right dash speakers, Boston Acoustic are pretty much the speaker of choice for this location, but not sure of their availability in the uk presently.

2. Adding aftermarket amp and speakers/sub, see Saba’s ES2 150/7 Stereo Upgrade for guidance.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice and link mate.

Wonder how long until they're back in stock?

Think I might do the 3.5 dash and 6x9 and sub at same time and leave it at that.

Door 1s will only cause it to rattle more and don't really want to start sound deadening both doors. Had car 4 years already, so 12-18months more and it will be time for a change, so want a quick cheap upgrade.

Where can I get these line level converters from? Price?

#7 ·
you need decent quality line-level converters that can handle the power output from the saab amp that drives the door speakers, it doesn't have a high output, but it's enough that cheap level converters are useless, the one I bought when I did my old 2003 Aero was £19.99 and was perfect fro the job, it was this one : 55020- Speaker to RCA adaptor

#8 ·
Ok, thanks for the info.

I have found this one at Halfords. Is this the same kind of connector that I require and will it do the job? I know autoleads normally make good connectors and leads for a reasonable price. Power can't be that much coming from the Saab amp like you said, as not much power coming from the factory install at the moment. If I could have took my old standard factory install from my old Lexus IS200 and had it straight into my Saab, would have been a v.happy man.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_186391_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

Has anyone else used this lead and is it ok for the upgrade?

PS - not sure if I have added link properly, so please say if I shouldn't add it like this. :roll:

#9 ·
Ok, thanks for the info.

I have found this one at Halfords. Is this the same kind of connector that I require and will it do the job? I know autoleads normally make good connectors and leads for a reasonable price. Power can't be that much coming from the Saab amp like you said, as not much power coming from the factory install at the moment. If I could have took my old standard factory install from my old Lexus IS200 and had it straight into my Saab, would have been a v.happy man.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_186391_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

Has anyone else used this lead and is it ok for the upgrade?

PS - not sure if I have added link properly, so please say if I shouldn't add it like this. :roll:
The converter you've linked to is the exact type you should avoid using, only designed to handle very low outputs from factory headunits around 5w, the Saab amp doesn't put out a high output but it is above 15w so needs a better converter.

I myself bought that exact one from Halfords and learnt from experience that it was next to useless, it actaully reduced the volume of the speakers, which I why I linked the Directed Electronics one in my post.

#10 ·
Ok thanks, I will go for that then.

I take it from the link, I would need to cut off the end adaptors from the 4 /5 speaker wires?

OK, so 6x9's and amp, I was thinking this package, as fairly cheap, which I'm looking for and do like JBL 6x9's from past experience going back over 10 years now. Never heard of amp make though.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/11590.html

Add the extra £20 for the line level converter and £10 postage will be £105 all in, then another £30 for the Boston 3.5" dash upgrade.

Do you know if the depth of the JBL's are ok for a Saab? Also worried about how high the tweeter will sit compared to Saab grills on back shelve.

#11 ·
Ok, have ordered the following for my upgrade:

• Boston S35 3.5" - left / right dash upgrade £30
  • JBL GTO 938 100w rms 6X9's - rear parcel shelf £38
  • JBL GT5-A402E 120w amp £54
  • BOSS 10 AWG GAUGE AMP AMPLIFIER WIRING KIT £10
  • Directed Electronics 55020 - speaker to RCA convertor £18
Total = £150 delivered

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this. Will look to fit next weekend when I will no doubt be asking more questions to ev1 on this forum :)

#12 ·
#13 ·
Thanks for the links mate, appreciate it.

But probably going to follow Saba's guide and take power from boot, as mines only a small amp, so hopefully should be ok.

As to the doors, read your guide last week and is very helpful. Will see how it sounds after install and then decide what to do from there. But as said before at start of my post, already had car 4 years and prob only have it for another 12months or so more, so looking for a quick, cheap upgrade and not too time consuming.

This is why I haven't added new door speakers in my forthcoming upgrade, as any more power going to these without sorting out the rattles like you said and think my car doors will just drop off one day whilst driving to work and having the radio cranked up. :)

#14 ·
Does anyone know where is the best place I should fit a 2 channel JBL GT5-A402E amp in the boot / trunk?

Should it go on back of the seat or on the side carpet?

Looked at putting it in compartment where fuse box is in boot, but doesn't look like it will fit once I close this compartment back.

Any help and pics of other amp installs would be much appreciated.

#16 ·
Oh ok,

As I already have the wires there for the extra factory fit amp, i.e. what I will tap into to get my power source.

I have the clip compartments on both sides of boot FYI.

So where do you suggest I fit this amp?

Any pics of where you installed yours please?

#17 ·
You can buy the different compartment hatch from Saab direct – its flat not moulded. I don’t know what the p/n is tho – however I’m sure a quick trip to your dealers will resolve – I dare say it wont be cheap. I have 2 amps which I put on the back seat, with some play in the cables so I can still drop the seat down. Then used a small metal cage as a cover to protect them from being bashed.

#22 ·
I am going to be following Saba's guide, but just have 1 question. It was mentioned to tap into speaker wires going into amp under passenger seat.

This may be a silly question, so sorry, but for the adaptor in the boot which is for the 2nd Saab OEM upgrade amp, couldnt I just tap into these speaker wires? I know Saba's guide did say to tap into the power lead on this adaptor, but aren't these speaker wires within this adaptor too? This adaptor must also be coming from the factory head unit no?

1st pic on Saba's guide:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175652

#23 ·
You can tap into those speaker wires if you like, but you'll get no sound, they not connected to anything.#
The plug they are in along with the power cable is for connecting into amp 2, so the ends you're lloking at are the outputs from the non-existant amp 2, the other ends of those cables lie somewhere around the parcel shelf awaiting connection to the 6x9s that come with amp2.

#27 ·
Hello,

I'm replacing the stock speakers in my '05 9-3 linear and so far have replaced the dash ones with much nicer 3.5"s and am very please with the improved sound.

I want to replace the rears as well and was planning on replacing the 4" stock ones with 6x9s since there is a mounting hole that seemingly is made for that purpose. However I noticed that the top grille into the passenger compartment doesn't extend the length of the port into the trunk, so that some of the sound would seemingly be blocked by the rear shelf.

It sounds like some of you have indeed replaced the rear 4"s with 6x9s - did you just drop them in? Happy with the result??

thanks

#28 ·
There are spots for both 4s and 6x9s. I left the factory 4s there and added 6x9s (well, 7x10s...same thing). I pulled the signal from the door speakers since they have a bass signal so you don't really miss much since bass is non-directional. The speakers mount from the bottom.

#29 ·
Thanks Diggs you're right about the relative non-directionality of low frequencies, so I guess I was wondering about whether the 6x9 port was there only for a subwoofer.

The 4" speakers are in bad shape and replacing them with 6x9s should be a big step up since the efficiency is greater (and they'll be nicer, 10 years newer speakers) however like I said it's odd that the grille doesn't extend the whole way needed. I think I'll cut out some of the sheet metal after I remove the 4" speakers and center the 6x9s so they are entirely under the grille. I'll just need to make new screw holes for mounting. I was curious if anybody else had done something like this but didn't see it in any of the threads.

#30 ·
I don't think anyone has. The 13 speaker system has 6x9s there and they serve as bass only. That is likely why they didn't bother to have them fully open to the cabin. Unless you plan on sending them a full range signal I wouldn't bother. To be honest, the soundstage should come from the front of the car anyways.

#31 ·
Upgrading from 4 speaker system - Saab 93 2000

Hi, hoping someone might be able to give some advice. I've just bought some focal components to upgrade from my stock 4 speaker system. I've already replaced the dash speakers with the focal tweeters and now need to add the woofers in the doors (6 1/2). As my car does not have any door speakers currently, wondering whether the speaker wiring would already be present in the doors or whether I will have to install these? If the wiring Is already there, would it be connected to the head unit? hoping it will be a plug and play. If I need to add wiring does anyone know how I would get the wires through to the doors? Sorry for all the questions any help would be much appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.