SaabCentral Forums banner

T5 cam install in T7 9-5

10K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Rarelibra 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this mod on here before? how hard is it? do I need to get any special tools? any advice would be super helpful... as interested in hearing what differences it made compared to the stock cams in performance and sound....

Thanks guys,

Matt

#2 ·
What mods do you already have? Keep in mind that putting in T5 cams is for a Stage III/IV+ modification. The ECU mods - especially the ones from Nordic, Maptun, JZW, BSR, etc - are all designed with certain hardware installed already. So to have a properly tuned T7 with T5 cams in it, you should already have the exhaust modified, the FPR, the king cobra inlet, the air filter, etc. (this varies between each tuning company). So your best bet is to start with the exhaust - either a good cat-back or if you want to plan on more, go for the whole 3" from manifold back.

I am running a Stage IV and I still have T7 cams in - if I wanted to go crazy, I could then do the T5 cams, green giant injectors, etc. for Stage V.

It also depends on the application. If you are going to take it to the track a lot, the T5 cams would be a good investment for the high-end increase. You will lose a bit of low-end with this mod. For street applications, the T7 cams are just fine.

Has anyone done this mod on here before? how hard is it? do I need to get any special tools? any advice would be super helpful... as interested in hearing what differences it made compared to the stock cams in performance and sound....

Thanks guys,

Matt

#3 ·
I have a 04 aero with a full 3" JT exhaust (magna flow race cat welded in), Genuine saab open air intake kit, forge diverter valve, 3.5fpr, and a jzw tune...this car is my daily drive i take good care of it just was gonna change it up a little and see what the difference might be...I actually got the cams from jonh @ jzw a while back and they have been sitting in my garage

#8 ·
Don't go throwing parts in teh car without checking with your tuner, injectors need to be dialed in with your tune,. Was your tune set up to take advantage of the T5 cams? and you have not installed them yet, interesting, wondering what you lose this way.

I have T5 cams JZW tune, the car pulls like a freight train to redline ( and beyond I suspect) When you install, zip tie the cam timing gears to the chain in a couple of places each, use a stretched bungie cord from the hood to the middle of the chain between the two sprockets and remove the gear carefully allowing the tension from the bungie to pull the chain upward so it will not drop, this will keep the chain on the lower crank gear for a quick install

And the cobra is a waste until you are around 400HP.

#6 ·
It absolutely contributes to the gains. It is an essential part of all of the tunes from Maptun. It isn't hard to install, either.

Thanks, this is my 5th saab and I absolutely love the car... for some reason I have been reluctant to buy the cobra intake pipe...what kinda gains in sound/performance are expected of the pipe? I typoed in my post it is a 03 aero

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.