check engine light - gas cap - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: ’10 9-5 Aero; '06 9-7x, '04 9-3 (s
Default check engine light - gas cap

The check engine light on my dash (nothing came up on SID) cam on yesterday. A quick check of the gas cap indicated that it was not screwed on properly. I believe this would cause the check engine light to come on, but itís still on after about 100 miles with the cap on properly.

Is there something I need to do to get the warning light to go off? How long should I wait before I schedule a service to see if the light was tripped by something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd July 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Formerly, 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

It takes about 7-10 engine starts to clear the condition. For best results, refill the gas tank.

Note that there is a service action on the gas caps in the US, where they would loosen on their own. Saab is replacing the caps for free if this problem is seen.
Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0t

You might need to get a new gas cap. This same exact thing happened to me last week. The rubber O-ring on the gas cap that kept a perfect seal was not working. I went to a random Saab dealership they gave me a gas cap for free (I think it was a recall) and they cleared the CEL.
Old 3rd July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9≥SS

Took mine about 2-3 days to clear
Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: ’10 9-5 Aero; '06 9-7x, '04 9-3 (s

Thanks. I had the gas cap replaced a few months ago, this time was my fault for not replacing it correctly.
Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 04' Saab 9-3 2.0t Linear SS

I had the same thing happen, I was really freaking out!

I filled it up, and I drove to my girlfriends house. When I left, it went off at start up .

My dad put the gas cap on wrong when he filled up! He loves my car, and tries to drive it whenever we need groceries hehe. He also used 87 instead of 91 petrol .
Old 3rd July 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

FYI there was a Sevice Bulletin, Gas caps on 03 and early 04 are now Warranted for 10 years from the In-Service date. The only catch is you just can't go in and ask for one, they read for the code and clear the CEL to validate the exchange. Woodsta is Spot on about the O-ring.

Last edited by JonV; 3rd July 2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 3rd July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero 6 Speed Manual

I had a check engine light the other day. Since I live about 2 hours from the nearest dealer I just went to autozone and bought a cap for 7 dollars. No check engine light for 2 days. I guess the next time I'm in Nashville, I'll put the old cap back on and hope for a check engine light before arriving at the dealership

Jeff
Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                

Not a recall as of yet.

If there is a problem with the cap, and it is under factory warranty it will be replaced. There is a new(er) number that just came out for the gas cap here in the usa. 10 330 409

On the sides of the cap where it goes into the filler pipe, there are some tabs that will not allow it to secure properly. if you see a white plastic thin strip between the tabs then chances are its not securing/fiting right. The newer cap listed above^ doesn't have this thin strip, allowing it to fit properly.

careful with purchasing caps anywhere else than a dealer or OE parts supplier. It may not be venting properly, and could cause a CEL.

Last edited by rsances; 3rd July 2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 3rd July 2007
Saabista

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsances
Not a recall as of yet.

If there is a problem with the cap, and it is under factory warranty it will be replaced. There is a new(er) number that just came out for the gas cap here in the usa. 10 330 409

On the sides of the cap where it goes into the filler pipe, there are some tabs that will not allow it to secure properly. if you see a white plastic thin strip between the tabs then chances are its not securing/fiting right. The newer cap listed above^ doesn't have this thin strip, allowing it to fit properly.

careful with purchasing caps anywhere else than a dealer or OE parts supplier. It may not be venting properly, and could cause a CEL.
They don't look like the gas cap in my 03? This is an Issue that had a Service Bulletin about , oh, at least a year+ ago. 03's/4's have had the warranty extended 10 years. What year are those caps?
Old 3rd July 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsances
I had my cap replaced within the last 6 months, and it still has the tabs. I had assumed there were problems with the gasket, possibly a bad composition of material that was cracking too early.

If the tabs are now gone it sounds like they may have been bottoming out on the fill spout. Then tightening the cap would not give good compression of the gasket. It would be a pretty simple matter to remove part of these tabs on an older style cap.

FWIW, in celebration of this being the 975th gas cap thread, I smeared some silicone grease on my new cap's O-ring. Now tell me I don't know how to PARTAY. Yee-ha!
Old 3rd July 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                

I think the quickest and cheapest way (as in free) to check why the CEL is on is to goto your local AutoZone and have them check it.

AutoZone does not have a Tech II (though wouldnt it be nice?) so you may have other issues with your car as OBD II is designed for emissions. If you were able to fix the issues that correspond with the codes they pulled and then CEL is still on, then you should goto the dealer.
Old 3rd July 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz
FWIW, in celebration of this being the 975th gas cap thread, I smeared some silicone grease on my new cap's O-ring. Now tell me I don't know how to PARTAY. Yee-ha!
I yanked the cap off of a Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss and toasted that very same thing

Jeff
Old 7th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

I just called my dealer because I keep getting the CEL for gas cap. They said the extended warranty was only for the 2005-2006 cert 2.0... I guess I'll have to take this up with Saab USA... you would think they would just give me a frickin gas cap and shut up... I get my car serviced there... does anyone by chance know where I can find this warranty information?

and yes I realize this is an older post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
FYI there was a Sevice Bulletin, Gas caps on 03 and early 04 are now Warranted for 10 years from the In-Service date. The only catch is you just can't go in and ask for one, they read for the code and clear the CEL to validate the exchange. Woodsta is Spot on about the O-ring.
Old 7th June 2010
Saabista

Well your dealer is wrong dude, it's 03's and early 04's.

Originally posted by me:

Letter Dated November 2006

Dear Saab Owner:

As the owner of a 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank cap won't tighen properly, or the fuel cap won't come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Saab dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: Saab is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on yoru 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichver occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Saab dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may scheule the appointment at the time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your delaer to order parts if they are not already in stock. keep this letter with your other improtant glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enlcose form explains what reimbursment is available and how to request remibursment if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Saab Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00AM and 8:00PM EST, Monday through Firday. They can be reached at 1-800-955-9007.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson
General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services
Old 7th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: Was 2004 9-3.

I knew they were wrong, they usually are... it would seem they prefer to hire ascetically pleasing people... You would think they would get someone who knows how to answer a phone call... intelligently... Do you have a number by chance that I can give to the manager/owner when I call back to complain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
Well your dealer is wrong dude, it's 03's and early 04's.

Originally posted by me:

Letter Dated November 2006

Dear Saab Owner:

As the owner of a 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible vehicles may have a condition where the fuel tank cap won't tighen properly, or the fuel cap won't come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Saab dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: Saab is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on yoru 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan or 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichver occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Saab dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may scheule the appointment at the time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your delaer to order parts if they are not already in stock. keep this letter with your other improtant glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enlcose form explains what reimbursment is available and how to request remibursment if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Saab Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00AM and 8:00PM EST, Monday through Firday. They can be reached at 1-800-955-9007.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson
General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services
Old 8th June 2010
Saabista

call saab usa
Old 8th June 2010

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: Steel Grey '05 Linear

Hey guys I know this is pretty much a dead thread but I have the same problem on my 05 that a bunch of those other people do, my gas cap just loosens on its own no matter how many times I crank it, so my CEL comes on until I fill up my tank (the mech said it only scans for it between 80-15% fuel), so is there a certain gas cap that I need to pick up? Or can I run to NAPA or Autozone and pick up any gas cap that will fit?
Thanks guys
Old 8th June 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 93 SS-AERO V6 MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saab Newbie View Post
I had a check engine light the other day. Since I live about 2 hours from the nearest dealer I just went to autozone and bought a cap for 7 dollars. No check engine light for 2 days. I guess the next time I'm in Nashville, I'll put the old cap back on and hope for a check engine light before arriving at the dealership

Jeff
my gas cap start to fail at hot temperatures only sound one clip when I lock, before three or more..
no engine light yet when I fill the tank to the top.

Old 8th June 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero V6 turbo charged

The same thing was happening to me this weekend. I called the dealer and they said it might be the gas cap. I screwed the gas cap tighter and the engine light is not coming on anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement