SAAB Key Blanks - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 87&88S,88T,91TVert, 90 Talladega Red SPG
Default SAAB Key Blanks

Does anyone know where you can source Genuine Saab Keys. The ones that say SAAB on the head.

I recently lost me key to Blue, it had only came with one genuine Saab key and when I tried the aftermarket spare it promptly sheared off.

So I took the little sheared bit and glued it onto a ilco key blank from eeuroparts.com and using a set of minifiles I replicated it. It of course worked on first try, yes I really am that good. However I notice it is starting to bend a bit, much like the cheap aftermarket ones do, and I fear it is not up to Saab par.

Sooo, back to the original question, is there anywhere that you can still get the Genuine SAAB key blanks? Please tell me yes, and quickly before this one breaks too.

Last edited by Matt88S; 20th June 2007 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

I see key sets (the black head and the all metal spare) on ebay, but I'm not sure if they're the real deal...
Old 21st June 2007

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 Turbo

You can purchase a genuine Saab key at your local Saab dealership. They cost around $16 to 18 each. You will also need to bring proof of ownership and ID.

Last edited by DosEvil; 21st June 2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosEvil
You can purchase a genuine Saab key at your local Saab dealership. They cost around $16 to 18 each. You will also need to bring proof of ownership and ID.
Not around here. When I called the dealership they said if I bought ID and proof of ownership they still might not be able to help me because they didn't think they even had such info in the computer and that it was also against some federal law. They also don't carry the keys.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900 SPG

matt- they do still have the keys. i just bought four of them about three months ago, from my local saab dealer. the parts person is just too lazy to look for the number. ill dig up the recipt and post the part number later today.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Thanks grif, I hope you're right, it would be nice to have some proper SAAB keys again, a couple of my cars only have the aftermarket ones.

My local dealership is kind of screwy though, they are a Caddy/SAAB dealer and Saab has always been given the back seat. The next closest dealer is in OK city, a bit of a drive for a key , but I've always heard good things about them, they've been around since the 70's I think so they know Saabs pretty well.

Last edited by Matt88S; 21st June 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab Lunatic

i found it, sometimes i amaze myself. in september 06 i bought three key blanks, saab part number 84-70-767 for $10.89 each.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88S
Thanks grif, I hope you're right, it would be nice to have some proper SAAB keys again, a couple of my cars only have the aftermarket ones.

My local dealership is kind of screwy though, they are a Caddy/SAAB dealer and Saab has always been given the back seat. The next closest dealer is in OK city, a bit of a drive for a key , but I've always heard good things about them, they've been around since the 70's I think so they know Saabs pretty well.
Perhaps you could get them to mail it to you? I figure if they're sending it to your address they know your not some guy trying to get keys to someone else's car....
Old 21st June 2007
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Anyone in the UK recently tried to get new keys from the dealer?
Old 21st June 2007

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab 900 2.0i 16V 1992 3dr RHD Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
Anyone in the UK recently tried to get new keys from the dealer?
Not me, but I did buy two blanks of e-bay and had one computer cut by giving the locksmith the key No. Result - not too good. I could open the drivers door, but the ignition lock required the key to be placed in one way, otherwise it would not turn. The boot lock refused to turn.

Problem solved by "ageing" the key, ie rounding of all the sharp peaks and troughs (referencing an original old key), filing the point of the key to more of a flat tip and slightly filing the flat surface. Key now works perfectly, but each filing step was taken gradually with many lock attempts.

The point here, is that each lock has worn to a different level and I believe that even if a "genuine" key was purchased, problems should be anticipated.
Old 21st June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys001

The point here, is that each lock has worn to a different level and I believe that even if a "genuine" key was purchased, problems should be anticipated.
thats a good point. where i live i tend to lock and unlock the drivers door about half of the time i use the car. so the ign. lock should wear out first, and in my experience do.
every time ive had a new steel key cut at the dealership the key worked fine in both locks. at the dealership the steel keys are punched- out with a tool like a nasty pair of tin snips that cuts each notch one at a time. the local locksmiths here, with automatic key grinding machines wont cut a steel key. the grinders are designed to cut soft metal like the average brass key-blank. ive always had problems with brass keys. so im thinking the cutting process and material used is the "key"
Old 22nd June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 81 8V 900T, 91 2.1 900i, 90 9k 2.0 Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88S

Here in Oz, some Holden (GM's Oz brand) dealers are selling Saab's out of the very same showroom as the Holden Commodore's, etc., and the sales droids generally have no idea what classic 900's are, or how to order parts for them out of GM's online dealer parts ordering system! What's worse is that one of the genuine Saab outlets here in Sydney which only ever sold Saab's is now selling Hummers as well. At least that outlet knows about the older Saabs (and the owners are really enthusiastic towards SCCA too).

I get my key blanks from the place I get my Saab's serviced, and they're genuine Saab blanks. Cost about A$15 each from last time I needed to buy some.

Craig.
Old 22nd June 2007
Saab Mad

Join Date: Dec 2001                                                
My Saabs: 900 S Aero Turbo, 9-5 Aero

Maybe us UK folk need to order our key blanks through Craig! AU$15 is 6.37!
Old 22nd June 2007
Super Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1978 99T in black; 1983 99GL in Beige

Why order a blank when a cut key is 5? Part number 9991000001
Advertisement