IPOD connection? - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th May 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9³ SS Steel Gray / Slate Gray

I have not been able to see in my Saab yet if there is an interface in the trunk for a CD Changer since there is an in-dash CD Changer.

Waiting form mine to come through the European Delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th May 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 06 95 aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiplax
I have not been able to see in my Saab yet if there is an interface in the trunk for a CD Changer since there is an in-dash CD Changer.

Waiting form mine to come through the European Delivery.
If you have AMP2 with ES2 or ES3 sound system, the cage for the CD changer is already there...

The CD Changer connector is already there. Installation is easy, you just need to tap into the fiber loop and the power connector should be there..tucked away on all models.

Last edited by schernov; 20th May 2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 20th May 2006

My Saabs: '06 9-3t

I just bought a 2006 9-3 2.0t (picking it up on tuesday) and i am wondering what the best way is to connect my iPod? I know the '06 has a line-in jack - what line should i buy? I saw posts on background noise and so on but nothing specific to the '06 model. Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old 20th May 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by schernov
well, I think you can tap into the fiber loop at any point. You can either do it at the rear amp or at the onstar box. All you need to do is put this box in line with other devices...
I tried ordering it through the above link, but USA is not a country in the drop down list!!!
Agreed, you can tap the fibre loop at any point there is a joint. You wont be wanting to cut it, unless they give you a cutter and some re-termination heads.

The other thing of course is that you need power. The only points where fibre and power are easily accessible are behind the dash or in the trunk. The problem with the trunk of course is that for those without the 300W system, the fibre has to be reconfigured under the seat (Saab in their wisdom installed the fibre to the trunk, but it isn't connected all the way back. You have to pull up the carpet by in the footwell in the front, find the connector and disconnect the return fibre from amp on to the dash and instead connect it to the fibre going to the trunk. The other fibre you find under the carpet is then joined using an inline connector to the fibre going to the EHU) and then the fibre in the trunk has to be connected to the CD Changer or whatever else you are installing.

This unfortunately isn't the issue! The issue is, to add anything to the Infotainment system UI, you have to program with Tech II, hence a trip to the Dealer. When i had my Cd Changer transferred from my old 9-3 to this one, I installed the changer myself, but it wouldn't work until Tech II'd in. Unless Dension have been working with Saab on this integration (Possible? Yes, Likely? Mmmm.) then the only way this system can integrate is by simulating a CD Changer, which the Dealer will have to add. I hope the system is more advanced than this, but it would probably mean a custom software load for the EHU and ICM if it were anything more advanced.
Old 22nd May 2006
Saab Lunatic

I am currently in contact with a guy from Dension corporate who stated that this product will be available in June. I am trying to get more information from him. I think this product replicates trunk mounted CD changer, similar to what BMW is doing with their new IPD kit. If you have AMP2, DVD for Nav or Trunk mounted CD changer already - it will be easy to tap into the fiber loop in the REC. There is a CD changer power harness there as well. If you don't have anything in the REC, you will still have the power harness....and for fiber you can tap into it by ONstar box.
Old 22nd May 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
....and for fiber you can tap into it by ONstar box.

If you have On-Star!! If not, see my post above.

It IS possible though, so don't let me put anyone off.

Schernov, soon as you hear anything, let us know! See if you can push the guy for an advance release of the installation guide 'For Review' given we have a good knowledgebase on here regarding the Infotainment system.

I already have the trunk CD changer, so I may well not need to do anything to get the system working!!!!! (Except plug the fibres and power in of course!)
Old 23rd May 2006
Saab Lunatic

==Update on Dension MOST adapter for IPOD=

It WILL have steering wheel controls
It WILL have song/playlist selection from Saab radio

I am trying to confirm which head units it will support. It will definitely support ES-3 radio with color screen navigation.

I am waiting on confirmation for ES-2 Greenscreen.

Availability =- VERY SOON.
Old 24th May 2006

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 93 / 03 Land Rover Disco

I have no problem with the Monster hook up. It is simple and it powers the ipod, if you are fancy you can run the wire right to the center counsel power source and nobody will see it. With the mount it looks polished.

I have heard the some FM transmitters suck depending on the area you live in ... but even with the saturated Chicago radio market I have no problem gettting a clean signal.
Old 19th June 2006

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Linear

Quote:
==Update on Dension MOST adapter for IPOD=

It WILL have steering wheel controls
It WILL have song/playlist selection from Saab radio

I am trying to confirm which head units it will support. It will definitely support ES-3 radio with color screen navigation.

I am waiting on confirmation for ES-2 Greenscreen.

Availability =- VERY SOON.
Schernov - just wondering if you have heard anything more since your last post -- Greenscreen's where it's at for me...

Thanks!
Old 19th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan
Schernov - just wondering if you have heard anything more since your last post -- Greenscreen's where it's at for me...

Thanks!
nope.............................
Old 20th June 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS, silver, 2.0t

topicscrew that monster stuff... alex_c has a GREAT tutorial on making an auxillary in for ur ipod in ur console... i just installed an aux in into my arm console today and fed all the wires through the center console and into the back of the cd playre... looks as if it came out of the factory like this... supplie cost me 8 bucks... and bout 2 hours of work (i couldnt get the EHU out)... anyways... far better than any 3party bull****... saab also makes an aux in... costs 35 bucks and if aux isnt already turned on in ur car... the dealer needs to do that also... anyways... mine works great and i recommend the same for ALL to follow... alex_c is a genius

Last edited by fightclub; 20th June 2006 at 02:27 AM. Reason: didnt read all of the topic
Old 20th June 2006

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Manual Touring/Nav/Cold

Yeah, but I think the topic here is about iPod integration with the car's system, not just plugging the thing in. It's one thing to get the iPod on Aux-In, it's another to get it Aux-In and control the unit from the steering wheel.
Old 20th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Arc, 100k+ miles
Thumbs up

I found this: http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

It looks as if they advertise "Ipod control from headunit"
"Saab: early July"

sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet.

It's a pretty simple deal to splice into the fibre optic loop. And for this you shouldn't have to need to program via Tech2. It has a switch: control either the 500 OR CD. It will simply route the steering wheel signals to the 500 or the CD.
Except...I thought those signals travelled via the CAN bus instead of the FO bus.

Now, this will all be well and good, except how do you get it to default to aux-in when you turn on the car?
Old 20th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscouse
I found this: http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

It looks as if they advertise "Ipod control from headunit"
"Saab: early July"

sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet.

It's a pretty simple deal to splice into the fibre optic loop. And for this you shouldn't have to need to program via Tech2. It has a switch: control either the 500 OR CD. It will simply route the steering wheel signals to the 500 or the CD.
Except...I thought those signals travelled via the CAN bus instead of the FO bus.

Now, this will all be well and good, except how do you get it to default to aux-in when you turn on the car?
Not quite that simple.

The system will need to be added via Tech II, as it probably simulates a CD Changer. Unless it's added, the ICM won't give you a menu option to control it unfortunately.

Steering wheel controls will not be an issue, as these work properly with the trunk mounted CD changer anyhow. The are converted to Optical commands sent down to the trunk by, you guessed it, The Holy Master of Infotainment, the ICM.

If the system is really clever, expect the following:

1: Select CDC which will bring the 500 online.
2: Select Change Track, which pulls up the CD-Text display of track names.
3: CD-Text display will display a scrollable interpretation of the Ipod menu, i.e. Playlists, Album, Artist, Track etc, where you would normally see the CD-Text displayed. This would be done by spo ofing (Stupid bloody censorship ********!) the TOC data sent from the CD Changer to the ICM on the SPDIF lines.
4: Selection of one of the above will make the system enter that "menu" (normally it would select the track to play!) and then you will have to go to Change Track again, to be presented with the appropriate list for that menu entry. The same will be repeated for selection of deeper levels. I would expect you to be able to hit a key on the numeric keypad to return to top level or higher level menu's (1 for Top Menu, 3 for up one level for example)

If the system works this way, then cool. If a later version of the system works this way, please note I am looking for a contributors fee!!!!

Cpoyright 2006 Gareth Davies
Old 20th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdavies
Not quite that simple.

The system will need to be added via Tech II, as it probably simulates a CD Changer. Unless it's added, the ICM won't give you a menu option to control it unfortunately.

Steering wheel controls will not be an issue, as these work properly with the trunk mounted CD changer anyhow. The are converted to Optical commands sent down to the trunk by, you guessed it, The Holy Master of Infotainment, the ICM.

If the system is really clever, expect the following:

1: Select CDC which will bring the 500 online.
2: Select Change Track, which pulls up the CD-Text display of track names.
3: CD-Text display will display a scrollable interpretation of the Ipod menu, i.e. Playlists, Album, Artist, Track etc, where you would normally see the CD-Text displayed. This would be done by spo ofing (Stupid bloody censorship ********!) the TOC data sent from the CD Changer to the ICM on the SPDIF lines.
4: Selection of one of the above will make the system enter that "menu" (normally it would select the track to play!) and then you will have to go to Change Track again, to be presented with the appropriate list for that menu entry. The same will be repeated for selection of deeper levels. I would expect you to be able to hit a key on the numeric keypad to return to top level or higher level menu's (1 for Top Menu, 3 for up one level for example)

If the system works this way, then cool. If a later version of the system works this way, please note I am looking for a contributors fee!!!!

Cpoyright 2006 Gareth Davies
Yes, as long as the radio supports cd text, it will work...
Old 20th June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Arc, 100k+ miles

Jumping ahead...

So all this basically means that the steering wheel controls can be translated to ipod-ese. Then, if you get an ipod control emulator for a computer...

EDIT, or screw that, there's a usb port on it. Oh my, I think I may have just wet myself.

Last edited by Viscouse; 20th June 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 21st June 2006
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscouse
Jumping ahead...

So all this basically means that the steering wheel controls can be translated to ipod-ese. Then, if you get an ipod control emulator for a computer...

EDIT, or screw that, there's a usb port on it. Oh my, I think I may have just wet myself.
I just got an email back from the Dension, they said SAAB product will launch in Q3 2006 for sure.
Keep checking this site:
http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php
Old 21st June 2006
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9³ SS Steel Gray / Slate Gray

Dension France has the IceLink Gateway 500 has the Saab version for Sale on their website for €449 ($560 / £300) wonder what the price will be once if hits the US marked.

http://www.dension.fr/boutique/fiche...0&tri=0&marq=0

Last edited by seiplax; 21st June 2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 5th July 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Vector

Has anyone purchased or had experience (thought about it) with the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play iPod player? It looks clever but I could imagine it would be extremely expensive being that HK has their name on it.

Cost (inc. installation)?
Work with steering wheel controls?
Availibility / Where it can be done?
Harmon Kardon Speakers
Infotainment System
Old 5th July 2006

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 9³ Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbyrd
Has anyone purchased or had experience (thought about it) with the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play iPod player? It looks clever but I could imagine it would be extremely expensive being that HK has their name on it.

Cost (inc. installation)?
Work with steering wheel controls?
Availibility / Where it can be done?
I got one for a my sister's Saturn. It comes with its own screen and a controler knob. It is a wired-FM transmitter, no connection to any car controls.

Its pretty nice but I had a Dension unit in my BMW and LOVED IT.. does a very good job at integrating all the car controls to iPod, not sure I could live without.

Once you have full integration, you're spoiled and will never want a simple aux-in solution again.

Bought the HK thing at Best Buy for around $150.. bout $210 with install at best Buy.

Here a link at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement