ICE- be gentle with me! - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-09-05
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .
Cool ICE- be gentle with me!

I really fancy a double din, unit with TFT touch screen , TV tuner etc etc etc!

Ok so we know it would fit and we know the steering wheel contols probably wont work, but is that it - plug and play?

Or is their a problem with outputs and the Saab amplifier etc?

eBay bargain - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Double-DIN-6-5...QQcmdZViewItem

I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....

Last edited by Chris 9-5; 09-09-05 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3 SE, BSR Stage 2

WOW

I don't have any answers for you... I just wanted to give my input...
Old 09-09-05
Saab Sage!

Nice one
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 09-09-05

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 02 95

it would defiantley be sweet looking but i like the wheel controls way too much to tinker in that area just yet. but from past experience i would assume given the correct power requirments are met you can splice it in
Old 09-09-05
Saab Sage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjml
but from past experience i would assume given the correct power requirments are met you can splice it in
Erm, thats the bit I dont understand
Old 09-09-05

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

I've been eyeing that kenwood set-up too.. If you have the cash, i'd go for it!
Old 09-09-05
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Somebody tried on "another" forum to change their AS3 head unit. They reported horrible feedback noise from the clash of the internal amp and the AS3 amp. I know you have AS2 so it could be problematic.....in short....pass.
Old 09-09-05
Saab Sage!

Erm.....................thanks

I dont think the ebay one has an internal amp
Old 09-09-05

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 02 95

well, i went throught the auction and they had nothing on what it needed to turn on and such. Also check and see if you can get a wiring harness this way you dont have to cut anything and it plugs right in

i know you are in the UK but this site has a pretty wide selection.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MGeh67T...dmenu.asp?c=11

EDIT: Wheel control thing

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3ntFm6d...8900&I=127SWIX

finding that makes me wanna go switch mine out too

Last edited by masterjml; 09-09-05 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-09-05
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

Looking at the ad Chris, it mentions they only deal with major ICE manufacturers, but doesn't actually mention what make the head unit is. You can't tell from the picture what it is, which would really worry me.
Old 09-09-05

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero (std) & 9-5 SE (Nordic II)

Having just come through the process of ditching my AS1 for a whole heap of kit, I would say that...

Where there is a will there is a way.

Basically, take the whole standard lot out and just leave the speakers behind. Actually, if you can, put components in the front (165mm will fit in the front door behind the grille with the tweeter up ahead of the handle) and 5.25" two-ways in the rears. Then get an amp in. Have the head unit feed the amp and then the amp feed the speakers. Voila.

This way you are avoiding having to interface the standard Saab speaker loom with [your head unit here]'s loom and avoiding matching the Saab amp up with non-standard kit.
The place I got to install my door speakers mentioned they had just put such a 2-DIN unit into a 9-5 the day before. The only grief they had was coming up for something to surround the unit with to make the fit to the Saab dash "Snugger", i.e. The Alpine unit I have comes with a trim surround specifically for Saab. I doubt such a thing will be available for the 2-DIN unit.

HTH
Old 09-09-05
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 stg3, 9-5 waggon

Blaupunkt do a single DIN screen thingummybob, they also do an interface to make the steering controls work too, but ditch the amps etc, sell it all on ebay and start again in that respect mate, it is far easier.
1997 Fiat Punto 1.25 85hp
Old 09-09-05
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 SE V6

I was actually considering installing a flat panel display on the roof...maybe take the place of the center dome light...I dont want to be distracted by the tv in the front, but I do want the occasional long trip to be more enjoyable for my passengers/little brother...I have seen some really nice ones around, they fit in very nicely in the interior and the ultra thin units are hardly noticeable...
Old 10-09-05
Banned

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 9-5 Aero wagon 01

hi Chris,
i install 2 same kenwood at 9-5....
you need change all new this hed new 3 amplifire all new wire power and audio... and if thant change all speaker ...
if you thant good sound you must spend more than 4000$ for all components and instalation..
Old 10-09-05
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9 3 Aero
Cool

Chris man ,"pimp my ride" its the way to go! Good ole Wes will be stumped with this ice thing. I know this post is of no real value but I just wanted to say it.
Old 10-09-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+

It is actually possible to get this deck to connect to the stock amplifier if you want, meaning you won't need to change out all the speakers or anything. Just be aware that the standard amp only has 4 channels of inputs (left/right for front/rear) so you won't get a full "5.1" system with an active center channel for DVD. I don't believe that deck has a 5.1 processor in it anyways, so this is probably moot.

That Kenwood unit has standard RCA outputs, but the AS2/AS3 amplifiers take a balanced input (more info). Basically what this means is you need something that will convert a standard single-ended RCA to a balanced line so that you can connect it to the stock amp. These converters were quite popular in the mid-90's for some higher end aftermarket amplifiers, so you should still be able to find some on eBay, like the Phoenix Gold TBAT (of which there are currently two for sale), or other similar products. If you want to use the front/rear fader on the deck, you will need a pair of these balanced transmitters, otherwise you can just use one of them and hook the rear inputs in parallel with the front ones.

I have not tested this yet, but I am quite sure it will work, as long as you make sure the voltage that you set the balanced transmitter to is similar to that of the stock deck. If the voltage is too high, the amp would be very loud at low volumes, and go into clipping in higher volumes.

I am going to do the exact opposite of this (factory deck, aftermarket amplifier and speakers, so I use the balanced recievers instead of transmitters) as soon as I get my new alternator installed. The stock alternator was so damn expensive I managed to get a high output alternator that makes as much power at idle as the stock alt does at full tilt for a fraction of the cost... now I just need to wait for it to get shipped here, and voila, I should have plenty of juice for my beefy aftermarket amp

Let me know if I confused the hell out of you and I will try to rephrase my stereo-nerdisms in proper English.
Old 11-09-05
Saab Sage!

Top post stipud

If I ever raise the cash you will be my guide

Thanks
Old 11-09-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: GenuineSaab.com

The SWIX is a bit problematic due to the infrared transmitter and they tend to "go to sleep", requiring multiple keypresses. In my 9-3 (same button system) I have fitted a Peripheral brand box that conntects directly to the wired remote input on the headunit. It is much nicer. Has only three other wires. power, ground and signal tapped onto SID connector.

Next project is a logic circuit to allow the radio to work with key off like factory.

Be cautious mixing all that power with the distraction of a new head unit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement