Melted Connector on Tail Light Assembly--Help! - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th December 2012

Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Linear

I thought the wires were soldered onto the bulb side. On mine, the male spade connector on plug side for black wire is completely burned off so there's nothing to solder onto.

Is it possible to drill into previous location of spade connector, and solder wire into circuit board?

Thanks
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th December 2012

As "luck" would have it, my part orders with both my local Saab dealer and SaabPartsUSA came in the same week. The part bulb holder from the dealer was cheeper because of no shipping charge.

Because both the bulb holder and the plug for wire harness were melted for the black wire I ordered all the parts. The plug assembly requires the plug, a slide contact holder and 4 wire connectors. Easy to assemble with no soldering required. However, a small needle nose plyer is required for crimping. I dissembled the burnt connector to understand the metal connectors for each wire.

All still use the OEM part numbers and none appear any different to rectify the problem of the black wire melting.

Has anyone detected a cause and fix for the melting wire?

Part #'s for 2004 9-3 Sedan [Some part #'s may be different for other models]
Wire harness female connector: S12789433 $4.20
Locking tab for connector: S12789185 $2.15
4 Cable terminators: S12790414 $5.00
Bulb holder
Left [driver] side S12788634 $27.68 [post bankruptcy]
Right [pass] side S12788637 $48.27 [pre bankruptcy]

My only justifications for the lower price difference of left vs right is volume discount for DIYer or Saab's bankruptcy.

Yes, I do have an extra left side bulb holder, but I'm going to keep it until I sell the Saab soon. I'll post in parts 4 sale forum.
Old 29th December 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Turbo X 6-Sp V-Tune Stage 0

Yea, my right rear tail light circuit board blew last month. I ordered it from the dealer on Nov 13th, finally came in yesterday. That's one helluva back order!
Old 30th December 2012

I also ordered the bulb holder in Nov. Saab parts man said a new company has taken over distribution of existing inventory of Saab parts. However, they don't know of any continuing mfg. of parts.
Old 16th April 2013

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

I know I'm bringing up an older thread, but I had the same issue. My right side outer tail lamp circuit board had the melting issue in January.

I ordered the part from saabpartsusa.com on January 22nd. It's now April 16th and I'm still waiting for the part. I've contacted them a few times already, apparently they haven't received the parts in yet. It would have been nice to list it as backordered when I placed the order. I had to pay for the part before they would order it for me.

Does anyone know of another place to try?
Old 16th April 2013

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero SS, 2008 9-3 2.0 SC

Try salvage yards. The new part is in no way improved over the original, from what I understand, so there is always a danger of this. When you replace it, you might want to consider switching to LED taillight bulbs--they are considerably more expensive, but they put off almost no heat, so they don't cause the melting. Just make sure you get one that puts out as much light as needed. Good luck.
Old 16th April 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 VTuned Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventuz View Post
I know I'm bringing up an older thread, but I had the same issue. My right side outer tail lamp circuit board had the melting issue in January.

I ordered the part from saabpartsusa.com on January 22nd. It's now April 16th and I'm still waiting for the part. I've contacted them a few times already, apparently they haven't received the parts in yet. It would have been nice to list it as backordered when I placed the order. I had to pay for the part before they would order it for me.

Well you might be SOL right now. Saabsite is backordered. Eeuroparts is backordered. Genuine and PFS don't carry those parts. Saabusa doesn't have anything listed so they might have one. Call them up before ordering to make sure they have one. Cancel where ever you bought it from and demand a refund. Clearly they aren't getting the part.... Other than the link, I think you're best bet is probably a yard.

http://www.saabusaparts.com/product_...roducts_id=867

You don't need LED's really. You just need the correct bulbs. I noticed people said they had dual filament bulbs in the car. Well they are supposed to be single filament. That dual filament is going to put off a lot more heat because it's not being used correctly. It's either being dimmed from the high brightness which will create heat or it's being overpowered at braking which will give more heat. Either way, not the issue at the moment since the task at hand is finding the part, but make sure you put the correct bulb in the car...
Old 16th April 2013

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventuz View Post

I ordered the part from saabpartsusa.com on January 22nd. It's now April 16th and I'm still waiting for the part. . .

SaabPartsOnline:
On this site you must enter the part number in the advanced search function.
Part #: 12-788-637 (Passenger side)
List Price: $28.23
Our Price: $17.07

Part #: 12-788-634 (Driver's Side)
List Price: $35.00
Our Price: $21.84

WorldPartsExpress:

12788637 - Socket plate 2003-07, OUTER Right
PARTS: Part included with tail lamp assembly.
MSRP $28.23
Online Price $19.69

Driver's side not available here

SaabPartsCheap:

BULB SOCKET RH
Make: Saab | Part#: 12788637
Your Price: $21.66

BULB SOCKET LH
Make: Saab | Part#: 12788634
Your Price: $27.72
Old 16th April 2013

juventuz

I'll sell you my extra if it's the same side. Unfortunately, due to recent storm damage it will take me a few days to id and verify correct side.

As previously mentioned, check with ALL salvage aka JUNK yards. If your wires are burnt [as mine were] You might have to buy the entire rear tail light harness, but at least you'll have new wiring. Apparently the issue is the wrong [double] vs correct [single] filament bulb. Something makes me think the Manual's or online bulb charts are incorrect.

This bulb & harness issue really should be address by the forum in a sticky.
Old 16th April 2013

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWeir View Post
juventuz

I'll sell you my extra if it's the same side. Unfortunately, due to recent storm damage it will take me a few days to id and verify correct side.

As previously mentioned, check with ALL salvage aka JUNK yards. If your wires are burnt [as mine were] You might have to buy the entire rear tail light harness, but at least you'll have new wiring. Apparently the issue is the wrong [double] vs correct [single] filament bulb. Something makes me think the Manual's or online bulb charts are incorrect.

The correct bulb, Saab Part No. 12767403, is a type 12088, PR21W, single filament red tinted bulb, fitting into a BAW15s base/socket.

Bulb base diagrams and explanations courtesy of Donsbulbs.com.

It is available individually, IN RED, for $6.15 at eeuroparts.com. (Mfg. Flosser).
It is available individually, IN RED, for $6.55 at RMEuropean.com. (Mfg. Philips).
It is available individually, IN RED, for $6.55 at importecautoparts.com. (Mfg. Philips).
It is available individually, IN RED, for $6.56 at koperformance.com. (Mfg. Philips).
It is available individually, IN RED, for $7.37 at eaceuroparts.com. (Mfg. Philips).
$20.00 for a pair, IN RED, at Candlepower.com. (Mfg. Philips).
Old 17th April 2013

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. I was told by another forum member that he checked with a local place, in the UK, and they were told that the parts were in stock in Sweden. I then emailed saabpartsusa asking them about the parts. That was late yesterday morning and I have yet to hear back from them.

I'm going to give them until later this afternoon and if they don't respond I'm going to email them to cancel my order. In the email I received after first inquiring about my order they told me I had to pay in full to order a backordered part and it was non-refundable. I would hope they would change their mind since it's been a good 3 months now that I have not received the part.
Old 17th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWeir View Post
juventuz

Thanks, please let me know if you have an extra one. It's for the right side, the passenger side.

Quote:

I literally called all salvage yards within a two hour radius and nobody had the parts.

I did order the harness and the circuit board, I figured it'd be better to replace both of them at the same time.
Old 17th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboheme View Post
SaabPartsOnline:
On this site you must enter the part number in the advanced search function.
Part #: 12-788-637 (Passenger side)
Our Price: $17.07

Part #: 12-788-634 (Driver's Side)
Our Price: $21.84

WorldPartsExpress:

12788637 - Socket plate 2003-07, OUTER Right
PARTS: Part included with tail lamp assembly.
MSRP $28.23
Online Price $19.69

Driver's side not available here

SaabPartsCheap:

BULB SOCKET RH
Make: Saab | Part#: 12788637
Your Price: $21.66

BULB SOCKET LH
Make: Saab | Part#: 12788634
Your Price: $27.72
Thank you for your help. I've contacted them to make sure they have it in stock.
Old 18th April 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Red SportCombi 2.0T

sunrisew wrote: ...only to discover that the wire connector to the tail light assembly was melted. One of the four wires--#2, the brown one--had its insulation melted about a centimeter back from the connector.

Unless a photo of the burned-out out area says otherwise, I'll say that this type of meltdown is caused by a "choke point" in the circuit, = somewhere the wire/solder/connector is smaller that it should be, and the heat is coming from there. Not the bulb itself. If the bulb was too hot, the socket would have melted, not 1 cm behind.
Typical damaged wire that got too hot. Unless you look at ALL the wires everywhere in a car, it's hard to spot.

Old 5th May 2013

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 2.0T

Seems everyone's out of stock and there's a backorder of 159 of them from Saab, with no notice of when they'll have available. I screwed a screw into the face of the socket/circuit board, screwed down one end of a piece of wire, clipped the black/ground wire (if one looks closely, notice this is the lead that's burned/corroded), and connected the new wire to the old black...back up and running!
Old 5th May 2013

Join Date: Dec 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Turbo X MT
Garage

I fixed this issue on a friend's 9-3 2.0t a few months ago. I basically bypassed the connector (which was melted) and soldered 4 wires to the taillight circuit assembly in various locations. (as some of you have done/ mentioned here)

I took a little effort to follow the circuits and ID them to know which wires went where.

I found that since the circuit is galvanized you need to file down the metal to get the solder to stick. It was freezing cold that day so I soldered 4 wires to the assembly while in the house and then used quick crimp connectors to join it up to the wiring coming off the chassis of the car (after cutting off the male connector). Works well. I'll try and get a picture next time I see her!

But "if the Screw fits", looks like you got it under control!
Old 5th May 2013

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 2.0T

yeah, I was resigned to thinking I'd have to solder as well, until noticing the large metal areas...was much easier to attach this way rather than monkeying with solder (took about 15 mins total). Of course, if more wires than the one are burned out, it might be tough to find space for 4 screws!
Old 2nd August 2013

Join Date: Dec 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3

sooooo... my tail light circuit board is burnt and the black wire was fried.... same problem everyone else is having. Problem is - I thought I recalled the order of the wires correctly, but it's not working. (i know - i should have taken a picture) anyway - can anyone give me the correct order on the drivers side?

james
Sponsored Links
Advertisement