3 door hatchback rear window leaks - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th December 2012

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1984 Saab 900 aero
Garage
Default 3 door hatchback rear window leaks

Hi all,

Quick question - I have a 3 door hatchback, and both rear windows leak. it seems that the seals have shrunk and no longer fit the door frame 100%. I have a couple of spare seals which have the same problem, I'm thinking of cutting a couple of inches of the 2nd set of rubbers and splicing it into the seal.

anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th December 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: '94 T16 Ruby 3dr, '93 T16 Ruby Vert.

There's a good chance that if the rubber seals have shrunk, that you have rust underneath, which may be where the water is getting in. If you take the seals off there is also a good chance that you can stretch them, by putting over a wooden former in the warm and leaving overnight. Or immersing them in hot water. You could try this on your spare set. Gluing rubber seals can be very successful if you use a good adhesive. I've found a good superglue (cyanoacrylate) to be excellent for this purpose.
Gluing the seals back in place when you've finished may help to prevent shrinking in the future. I must admit I have never experienced this myself.

Old 16th December 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2008                                                
My Saabs: '86 900 8V

You can stretch the seals. I did it with my hands prior to installation (warm water may be a good idea though) + stretched them during the montage.
Don't forget to make inside channel smaller for tight fit, this can be done with a pair of pliers....
Old 16th December 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

On antique cars we used to wet the rubber seals with gasoline that made them swell. Then we sprayed them with silicone spray to preserve the effect.
Because of the fire danger I can't endorse that.
Old 17th December 2012

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1984 Saab 900 aero
Garage

thanks guys! think I'll give the warm water and silicone spray a go!
Old 17th December 2012

Join Date: Dec 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab Comm Ed, 1993 Saab Comm Ed

I've also done what you originally asked. Cut them about halfway up the b-pillar, force them into the corners and glue a piece in the remaining gap. I used rubber weatherstrip adhesive to glue the pieces in. Done it on several cars without issue or further leaking.
Old 19th December 2012

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900lpt

I always use fabric conditioner to, well, conditions the seals if i pull them out.

Also strongly suggesting removing the seals to check for rust, my 3dr had the same problem once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement